Trying to find pistons for my xs 400 e (oh and hi I'm new here)

Shaun Chandler

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
First off I guess I should start by saying hello. I'm a new xs400 owner and first time bike owner. I just recently stumbled across an xs400e (well two of them) as well as two tx 500's (73 and 74 model years). It started off I was finding class projects for my grade 10 auto class and it ended up with me getting a bike. Didn't impress my wife at first but we are still together so all is good. I'm a welder fitter by trade and always wanted to build a bike so here is my chance. I moved quick right off and stripped it to nothing blasted everything and tore the engine down ( it was seized). I'm probably a couple weeks from a rolling chassis will snap some pics then if anyone is interested all I have right now are pics of parts as I was taking them off so I would have a reference.

What I'm looking for now is pistons, Its looking like I have to hone to atleast 1st oversize and I'm thining I may need pistons, I haven't removed the grime to mic them yet but I figure if I'm going this far might aswell do it right and replace the pistons. My question is where can I get pistons and rings for this bike, it seems abit hard to find them and what is out there is crazy expensive. I was wondering if another bike shared pistons so I could go with them instead.

Any input would be great, Thanks and I'll hopefully be posting now that I've signed up, I've been lurking around for a couple weeks now.

Shaun

Welcome! This site was a big help to me with my project.

When I was having compression issues with my bike the general consensus was that pistons and rings, as you are finding out, are virtually made of unobtainium. Even though it turned out not to be rings my solution anyway was a good running parts bike with excellent compression and an engine swap. It just made sense for both time and economy as I was also able to scavenge enough upgrades and spares off the parts bike to make it worthwhile. Then I resold it as a project for parts, yes, I was upfront with the purchaser about what he was buying. If you consider going this route check out the "Classified" section of this forum. There are a couple of parts bikes from that era that are currently listed for sale. You can also list your wants as well.

Good luck with your project..

First over rings are pretty easy to find:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMA...otorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_956

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMA...torcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1899wt_939

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-...otorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_956

First over pistons, on the other hand, are tougher, but they show up from time to time. Standard size pistons are easier to find and the rings are out there. If the bore is good, you may get lucky and just need rings.

I got these from yamaha about 4 years ago. They are .50 over the only size set available. I paid like $225 for them. They had to ship them from japan. When I checked on sets a few years before that the .75 where still around, I bet now there is none. With these bike's if you find the parts buy them. I plan on keeping mine for another 30+ years and giving it to my son as this was my first street bike. Over the past 13 years I have collected all the parts (cam, valves, crank, pistons, gaskets, seals and all the other bits NOS or new. It has cost me about $1500 but when it needs it I am ready. I don't think that will be soon thou it starts on the first kick and uses no oil.:)

Last edited:
Back