What did you do with your XS today?

New battery to match my new VOLTS. (I finally rewired my magneto. I had rewired the stator months ago.)

What will I do today? Ride without having the bike stumble while brake or turn signals are illuminated. Cha-Ching!

Ride you lucky son of gun,
im buried in a foot of snow and on the edge of this polor vortex.
at least it isn't as cold as yesterday when out high was -3*:yikes:

sent the Gilera frame off to Powder coat, I know its not an xs but this little one will kick ass. (visually)

Ride you lucky son of gun,
im buried in a foot of snow and on the edge of this polor vortex.
at least it isn't as cold as yesterday when out high was -3*:yikes:
We just don't have the right equipment up here.
All you have to do is drop the the deck and swap in the blower attachment:

Attachments

• Blower.jpg
    Blower.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 217
Installed my new drag bars. Now have a clearance problem to deal with: choke lever on left and bottom of right perch touch the tank on full lock. I think maybe just rotating the bars up a few degrees will fix it, but, blast it all, I'm out of time for now.

lou that's heck of bike pic,good find btw.I think up here in our neck the woods we need a plow mount on our bikes for winter.Shouldnt be as cold to ride now that I got the windshield:D. then another addition would be winter rims with spike tires or paddles depending on the snow depth eh?:laugh:

Installed my new drag bars. Now have a clearance problem to deal with: choke lever on left and bottom of right perch touch the tank on full lock. I think maybe just rotating the bars up a few degrees will fix it, but, blast it all, I'm out of time for now.

What degree of pullback are your bars? Let us know how you fair with rotating them!

Last night I played a tournament style poker game and won. Pot was $160, so now I've got some money burning a hole. Today I dreamed up my next move: reupholster my seat, new tires and tubes, finally replace my chain and drive gears, and maybe some new mirrors.

This new increase in temp has me dreaming of summer, and i have to ask the question: How reliable can i expect my bike to be?

I want to take it on many road trips, camping trips, drive it as much as I can, but right now its running rough (which i plan to tackle when the winter ends), but I am worried that I will start pouring money into it and it will never be as reliable as I need it to be for these trips...

So how reliable can a 79 SOHC xs400-F really be ?

(lets assume i fix every issue that arises - would that mean its back to being just like new ?)

These bikes are as reliable as the owner keeps them maintained.With that said how many miles does your bike have on the clock,most have low milege considering their age.As long as your carbs are clean these bikes should provide many years of rialable road riding as long as you don't beat them.I have read of some guys putting up to 1000 miles a season on their bikes with ease.The only problem with them is their weight which is to light to ride on the expressway.Last year I was riding on I-94 for abnout 20 miles and got blown over 6-7 ft by a semi passing me.They are fine if you ride them on 2 lane hiways where you can do a constant 65-70mph speed.

Sesty: I lead everyone to believe that, didn't i! The $160 just adds to money and stuff I got from Christmas and my birthday. I've already got the chain and sprockets on hand, got them a long time ago to offset shipping costs. Found a guy to reupholster my seat (he's gonna shave, tuck and roll, and level my original saddle) for under $100. Tires will probably bra t least 160, mirrors... Depends what I get. It'll be a large chunk of money.

Jtheissen and recreatme: I had wondered this myself, and found a thread a while back where people were saying the bikes will last about 25k miles+ with proper maintenance. While I believe this to be true, I think that you could go well beyond that IF you are maintaining it yourself (and with the utmost care). If you are paying someone to do the work, unless you are mr money bags, you will probably have your local mechanic second guessing your dedication to your old cheap bike. These bikes are awesome and love mine, but it seems that shops have no love for them, because if even a minor tune up can surpass the dollar worth of your bike.

From another angle, I think if you aim to make the bike last forever, you can - but it will take very good maintenance, dedication to repair, and an inquisitive nature on your behalf (to suss out potential issues before they cause failures or damage), and some relatively mellow riding (keeping it under 7 as much as possible.)

This is my opinion.

My bike has about 30K Km, so like 18.6K miles on it..
The engine seems okay, the carbs will be needing some maintenance when the weather warms up, and i have some electrical issues to sort out (which i hope is just a wiring flaw i need to track down).

Yeah i guess you guys are right, they are essential just an engine and wheels... Shocks and forks can be updated with new ones, same with brakes and electrical if need be.

The engine itself can always be adjusted, cleaned and even rebuilt as long as it is not physically damaged, same with the carbs. And even the carbs are bad you can always fit other kinds, or new ones and just work out fuel mixture later..

I really need a heated garage, having this bike sit so long without work is driving me crazy!

The best thing you can do for your bike is to only run it when it is running solid. If it runs, but runs rough, try to hold back your excitement in favor of the livelihood of your beast :D

Also - space heaters, or wild dance parties can help to keep your garage warm. Also, carthart makes some great winter mechanics gear! The only trouble is keeping your hands warm - I wear wind stopper bicycle gloves on the cold wrench days (cold for me is 50 and below, haha)

Lou - I don't live at home, or in the same city as my parents lol I have an apartment in a different city and store my bike at a buddies house in his garage/shed which is not heated and currently has a broken garage door.. So once its open, I like to keep it up since it has no pully system and a pain to raise...

Tombo - Its been well below 0 here, last week it was like -15F to the point where having my hands out for 10 minutes was painful lol I would love if it were 50F here.. I go gloves around freezing but if its that cold I am not going to ride anytime soon so i don't bother working on the bike, no reason to put myself through the hassle.

Back