What did you do with your XS today?

Installed tapered bearings in the headstem today, and put on the polished upper and lower triple. Feels real nice with the tapered bearing upgrade so far, was a pretty easy install. I ended up ditching the lower dust cover though because it didnt seem to fit all that well. Actually didnt fit at all, wouldnt seat into the frame. The original dust seal will work just fine anyway.

Attachments

• DSC04407.jpg
    DSC04407.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC04409.jpg
    DSC04409.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 235
(yesterday) Detailed. hmmm, missing a couple black candy DOT dampeners. I put them in starting from bottom and up. They are 2 diff sizes and starting from top (slight thicker) to bottom will make sure you don't have the thinner ones at top or thicker ones at bottom. Does that even make sense? :laugh:
Washed but before the polishing and waxing.
[URL=http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a469/gxfade/DSC00063.jpg][/URL]
[URL=http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a469/gxfade/DSC00065-1.jpg][/URL]
[URL=http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a469/gxfade/DSC00066-1.jpg][/URL]

I took mine to work .... ran into snow ... was interesting. oh and i installed my bar end mirrors, i love them i can see a lot better.

Finally took her to get my full license with the road test, yay!

Congrats i plan on taking mine in June!

(yesterday) Detailed. hmmm, missing a couple black candy DOT dampeners. I put them in starting from bottom and up. They are 2 diff sizes and starting from top (slight thicker) to bottom will make sure you don't have the thinner ones at top or thicker ones at bottom. Does that even make sense?
Washed but before the polishing and waxing.

Looks amazing, great work. do you have any advice for washing/ detaling a bike. i'm new to motorcycles and i'm not sure how to go about cleaning it.

petei;79963 Looks amazing said:
Most of the elbow grease and hours spent were during the rebuild going through a dozen pack of gun cleaning brushes in a drill, steel wool, polishing compound. The valve cover i did get close to chrome finish with 400 grit wet and only used the wet sandpaper on the edges of the fins. I wished I had gotten everything vapor-blasted but was getting sick of the $$$ spent and also wanted it running. Washing it I first soaked the motor with Gunk degreaser which I won't do again because it leaves a greasy (imagine that) film and when the motor was hot it billowed smoke for 20 minutes. But after the degreaser on the motor used a soapy water spray bottle, then hot water in spray bottle to try to clean off the greasy degreaser. Also a nylon brush. Thanks! :)

edit: the generator cover is brand new. That is how, i guess :wink2:

Yeah looks great dark! I like your fuel filter set up, nice and discrete. Do you where can I buy that style of filter?

@ Josha, thanks mate! You gonna polish your triples too?

Yeah looks great dark! I like your fuel filter set up, nice and discrete. Do you where can I buy that style of filter?

@ Josha, thanks mate! You gonna polish your triples too?

:laugh: I saw this reply in my email, thanks but I think it would be more discreet if I go with the white one HA. Time for a new one, too close to the motor and the inlet/outlets have shaped themselves to one side from the heat.
Mikes XS $2.50 in white :)
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/20-0013.html

I'm kind of hoping that I just ran out of gas.
There is no 3rd "RES" setting on the petcock, just "ON" and "PRI".
Will be testing it out shortly.

What i did today...hhmmm...let's see,,,,before work i took off the panels, seat and tank to get a better assesment of what I need to do to start restoring after work tonight. I called every place around me for a negative battery cable and am researching which battery i need. While at work have daydreamed all day about getting home and getting started!!!!!

Put the boiled, cleaned, reassembles carbs back on the bike! Kicked it over a couple of times, nothing. Ran the electric start for a bit, nothing. Kicked it some more, still nothing.
:(

ow, I did tons of stuff..

Not really, just got some freshly machined goodies and bolted on few bits.

Back