What did you do with your XS today?

Did my Motorcycle Skills Test on Sunday, went to the insurance agency this morning to have my Supervisors and 60k/hr speed limit lifted and rode it to work today!

Definitely have a few bugs to work out. The left signal sometimes wouldn't activate - they are after market bullet style lights. And the bike died at a stop and didn't want to start...I pushed it off the road and eventually got it figured out, the Idle seemed a bit low and there previously was a lingering idle - so I have a bit of problem solving to do.

Added a pair of gators. Looking at the before and after, she looked downright naked without them!

That's my dog Scout in the background. He keeps asking for a sidecar. May have to build him one as they seem awfully pricey... Thinks he'd look cool in goggles and a silk scarf...LOL

Attachments

• gator1.jpg
    gator1.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 253
  • gatorless.jpg
    gatorless.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 226
Mounted chain guard and tool box.
Also crimped up the new connections for my stator and field coil.
Duplicated the way the stock neutral indicator and oil pressure wires drop out of the wire sleeves at their connection locations.
Looks like a brand-new stock setup.

I have a spare XS400 engine that I refer to sometimes for how things go together. It's similar enough to my XS360 for that purpose. I am contemplating changing my head gasket, so I did a dry-run on the spare today. It all comes apart and goes back together fairly simply on the bench. I hope it's as slick if I leave the engine in the bike.

Hi Yamaha people I new on here and I love these site already I have 81 Yamaha 400 special II 20,000 miles on her but just wonder what I call her I see many different models xs400c or xs400s or so on but wonder how I know which one it is? I do have electric and kick start option. Just pick up bike from brother few years ago and use to ride her 20 years ago and loved it I use have a Honda cm400 custom butnothing like yammy, is night and day

Welcome to the group, which side of Wisconsin do you live on?

Swapped out the old gear shifter, Drove it up and back. It hadn't ran for about a week now.

Hi Yamaha people I new on here and I love these site already I have 81 Yamaha 400 special II 20,000 miles on her but just wonder what I call her I see many different models xs400c or xs400s or so on but wonder how I know which one it is? I do have electric and kick start option. Just pick up bike from brother few years ago and use to ride her 20 years ago and loved it I use have a Honda cm400 custom butnothing like yammy, is night and day

If the vin starts with 4R5 it's an H.

I live in South Range, Wi about 4 miles from Superior, Wi they call it Twin Ports. thanks for the help mine is 4R5. Just got floats adjusted correctly after buy new float last year and thought it come preset but was I wrong not sure how it work at all. Bike tip over last sunday and leak gas into air cleaner and oil and changed oil and started leaking gas again through left air box so ripped carbs out and that how I found this forum looking for specs on floats but I have brass floats and set at 26mm but got mixed info on that supposed to be 32mm but floats were almost at lowest point so gave it a try and was shocked I took for ride and was doing 70mph like nothing even though it only 32 degress but need to be ready for some nice days. :thumbsup:

I swapped out the old Nylon Bushings for some nice Bronze one's off MikesXS. Very good quality and well priced. The old nylon bushings were very distorted and worn. More photos in my build-thread.

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

Back