What did you do with your XS today?

Removed, disassembled, and rebuilt front fork. Ranther than paint or highly polish, I chose to simply clean and lightly polish the lower fork tubes (I did not want to add to the maintenance regime to keep them highly polished.)

Also finished the tank painting.

Items remaining:

- Reassemble front end
- Spray some clear on the tank
- Complete seat buid and cover
- Ride it like I stole it!

Attachments

• tank28.JPG
    tank28.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 256
  • tank29.JPG
    tank29.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 252
  • tank30.JPG
    tank30.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 245
  • tank31.JPG
    tank31.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 265
  • tank32.JPG
    tank32.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Finished the rebuild. Check out the picture album titled '1981 Build Complete'.

Thanks to all the members of XS400.com for helping to make this possible. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC_0313.jpg
    DSC_0313.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 280
Finished the rebuild. Check out the picture album titled '1981 Build Complete'.

Thanks to all the members of XS400.com for helping to make this possible. :thumbsup:

Nice job,very nice job,but the seat spoils it imo,it needs to be stitched in the back not folded.
But i really like what youve done.

And sometimes a photograph can save your silly life.

Take a look at the yellow oval. The axle clamp is so loose that the gap is visible in the photo. Went out to the gargage and, sure enough, I forgot to tighten the clamp.

I put 10 miles on the bike today with it that way.

Watches over children and fools, does He?

Attachments

• DSC_0316.jpg
    DSC_0316.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 265
...and we are not children so.... hahaha Providence my friend. Thank the Lord.

Today I took the bike for a little ride over to the air museum near my house. I saw a P-51 flying around and knew it was heading there. The museum was closed but I watched as they backed the Mustang into the hangar.

http://lyonairmuseum.org/

A few guys were loitering around outside and they said the B-17 was coming in for a landing. The B-17's sound signature was very cool.The sound of the engines plus the crisp chopping sound of the props was really cool. They are going to have an event next month

http://lyonairmuseum.org/2012/1st-annual-bikes-bombers-event-sunday-june-10-2012/

I will get pics then.

Got some good riding weather and went for a nice long ride:bike:

Last edited:
And sometimes a photograph can save your silly life.

Take a look at the yellow oval. The axle clamp is so loose that the gap is visible in the photo. Went out to the gargage and, sure enough, I forgot to tighten the clamp.

I put 10 miles on the bike today with it that way.

Watches over children and fools, does He?

the rear of that clamp isn't supposed to be closed. the front is torqued up till its closed and then the rear is torqued up. the idea is there is some "spring" gripping the axle consistently.

did the Thundersprint yesterday, didn't race but rode the cavalcade with the MotoGP stars past and present

drewps is on 1.25 :)

here's the bike with the numbers attached

73ba0cbc.jpg

393e6cec.jpg

I went out and bought a new (read used) petcock from a salvage yard. I inspected the entire intake system for cracks and came up empty, thankfully. I have a question for anyone here willing to listen:
I replaced my vacuum line with clear tubing (because it's only air through there, right?). Turns out that now that I have it running great, I had a chance to get off the bike and have a look around. What I saw was a little unnerving as I was able to see a little fuel running through the vacuum line and the spark plug told me it was rich. What do?

Drew why did you not race? I wish they would do stuff like this where I live:banghead: All they do is big harley dresser and chopper rides:(

thanks guy's

I Didn't have the leathers or the ACU license, but it was a great day all the same.

I'm on the track in June 17th Barnsley "show with go" :)

Back