What did you do with your XS today?

Well today I finally found the time to put together my carbs and install it back onto the bike along with new jets and mikesxs pods. Took several kicks to get it started up but when it did it sounded beautiful! I noticed my idle speed was down from 3-4k(what it was idling at when I first got it) to around 2k maybe 2100. I stood there for a couple mins wondering what else I could do to lower the idle speed then I get a call from work telling me I had to come in so I kill the engine and go to get ready for work. While getting dressed I realize that I had left the choke on earlier from playing around with it and forgot to adjust it :doh:. After reading other posts before I realize that my idle speed might be fine once the choke is turned off! Makes me excited! I wanted to start up the bike again but it was dark when I got home and I live on a sleepy street where everyone turns off the lights by 7pm and I didnt want anyone calling the cops on me for my loud open header bike haha.

I did notice a little white smoke leaking from the exhaust headers after a couple mins and I'm thinking I need to replace the gaskets which I'll do tomorrow. I hope it had nothing to do with forgetting to turn off the choke. :eek:

If you leave the choke on the worst you'll do is foul the spark plugs really. The smoke is probably what you think it is; a small exhaust leak. This is common because many people are too cheap to replace the crush gaskets when they remove the headers.

great! thats awesome to hear. I understand an exhaust leak could be what causes a high idle also correct? Hopefully when I start her up tomorrow with choke off and new exhaust gaskets installed that'll fix any idling issues I have.

The choke will definitely raise your idle way up; mine shoots up pretty high on full choke. If yours is down to 2k rpms on full choke you're probably going to have to adjust your idle speed manually (it is probably too low). There is a gear-shaped adjuster between the carbs for this. Keep this in mind because if it is set too low the bike may not run at all with choke off.

No problem. Also, pull your spark plugs and check them out. If they are covered in black soot brush them off with a brass brush or something. They are generally fine to re-use after a little cleaning. Don't pull the plugs from a hot engine and always tighten them by hand as much as you can. When tightening they only need to be "snug." I cross-threaded one of mine in the past and went through hell to fix it!

Coated my head pipes with pj1. Really changes the look of the bike.

Attachments

• DSC01862.jpg
    DSC01862.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC01863.jpg
    DSC01863.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 184
Congrads Dave.

I put my valve cover bolts back in and torqued them down.Then I straightened all my turn signal brackets on the front.Fixed the rubber on the back ones.Took off the aluminum frame underneith the seat and painted it to match my tank and carb covers

XSChris your bikes looking sweet.

Last edited:
I replaced the sockets in the rear turn signals with dual contact sockets to accept 1157 bulbs, and wired them into the tail light circuit. Now the turn signals illuminate along with the rear light when the ignition is turned on, making the bike much more visible from the rear.

The front signals are next to be upgraded, and LED bulbs will be installed in all 4. :)

I replaced the sockets in the rear turn signals with dual contact sockets to accept 1157 bulbs, and wired them into the tail light circuit. Now the turn signals illuminate along with the rear light when the ignition is turned on, making the bike much more visible from the rear.

The front signals are next to be upgraded, and LED bulbs will be installed in all 4. :)

I thought about doing the same thing last summer. If you did not change the turn signal lenses to red though you may technically be in violation of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act. I doubt if anyone would take notice so just be aware of it.

From the HTO;

Lamps required on motorcycles
(2) Subject to subsection (3), when on a highway at any time every motorcycle shall carry two lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on the front of the vehicle which shall display a white light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (2).

I thought about doing the same thing last summer. If you did not change the turn signal lenses to red though you may technically be in violation of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act. I doubt if anyone would take notice so just be aware of it.

From the HTO;

Lamps required on motorcycles
(2) Subject to subsection (3), when on a highway at any time every motorcycle shall carry two lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on the front of the vehicle which shall display a white light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (2).

While that may be the law, I've personally seen motorcycles with amber marker lights that appeared to be factory. I believe that this law is a minimum requirement, not a limitation. And my bike was manufactured before 1990, predating that law - but I'm not a lawyer.

What I've done appears to be factory. I doubt I'll ever get stopped for this. More likely a roadside blood alcohol test...

Dave

Posted via Mobile

I kicked it's tires, then found another one on craigslist that I'm buying on Saturday :bike: One that actually runs... and drives... and stops... and turns... and the lights work!

I have read through the regs here in NY and the rear turns can be amber. If you convert them to work as a tail/brake light they need to be red.
This may be a federal regulation.
On the Honda I picked up It had a black box under the seat that took me a while to figure out. It is a converter that hooks in so the rear turns act as turns, running and brake lights. Technically with the amber lenses on the rear it isn't legal. And finding red lenses to fit the lights has proven hard to do.
Leo

Due to the extreme cold I havent been able to work on bike lately:eek:.It supposed to warm up by the end of the week or early next week so I`ll be putting some parts back on that I took off for painting.

Cleaned and oiled the air filters, cleaned the grounds, pulled the stator connection to clean and seal, cleaned the chain and all that crap that gathers behind the countershaft sprocket cover.

I have read through the regs here in NY and the rear turns can be amber. If you convert them to work as a tail/brake light they need to be red.
On the Honda I picked up It had a black box under the seat that took me a while to figure out. It is a converter that hooks in so the rear turns act as turns, running and brake lights. Technically with the amber lenses on the rear it isn't legal. And finding red lenses to fit the lights has proven hard to do.
Leo
use red LEDs with clear lenses then

Leo

Maybe I wasn't clear before. :shrug: I've changed the turn signals into marker lights and turn signals. They come on at low intensity when the ignition is turned on, and flash brightly as turn signals. I have not connected then to the brake light.

My intention is to make the bike more visible at night, not to confuse other motorists. I hope I have succeeded...

Dave

Back