XS400 project

foul

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi im new here and new to motorcycles in general, this is my first one.
Its a '82 (i think :doh:) German newbie version with 20kW (27hp) engine.
I cant wait to take it apart but i have to wait untill the phone company finishes
dragging their cable through the basement :banghead:

Now for the questions:
How do i know if the wheels are for tube or tubeless tires? Are there some markings on the rims?

If i chop the frame off right after the damper mounts, do i have to weld some extra tubes there?

If i chop the tubes off that hold exhaust and passenger footrests, do i have to reinforce the rear brake lever mount?

Why does it have ugly front engine mounts that stick out forwards? I think ive seen ones with more discreet mounts. Are the ugly ones supposed to dampen vibration or something?

When i rebuild the engine what are the parts i should replace by default? Ive ordered a complete engine gasket/seals kit, should i get a chain tensioner as well, what about cam and crank bearings?

Cheers!

tubed tyres for the sohc

tubes would need bracing accross the frame if you took out the brace at the top

chopped off my left passenger tube. I kept the right for an exhaust braket

those are dampers for the engine
don't really need a chain tensioner, but you might need the blades. no cam bearings, and I always replace my mains as insurance.

BTW welcome to the forum foul

Thanks drewpy!

I want to buy some tyres, im aiming for 4"x18" front and 5"x16" rear on the stock alloy rims.
Right now it has 120mm on the rear and it seems to have plenty of space, 5" should only be like 5mm wider.
Would they fit? Im too sissy to just buy the tyres and try cause they cost more than the bike xD

edit: did some digging around the rear wheel and it seems it has less space than i thought, maybe 5mm to the chain, the tyre is 120mm and is 120mm from the widest part aswell, the tyre i want to fit is supposedly 135mm at the widest <.<
What i noticed tho is there are some shims between the wheel and the sprocket, are they custom or did they come from the factory like this? I think they are made of plastic.

BTW the bike is from '79, first registered in '83.

Last edited:
looks custom, but they did have metal shims in there. Maybe someone realigned the wheel properly?

120 is really pushing it and you will start to affect handling if you go any wider on the rim. My 110 touches the chain guard ever so slightly!

Today finally got to pulling it all apart and omfg why does it have so damn many wires, i almost fell on my ass when i opened the headlight up <.<
Tomorrow i will pull the gearbox cover off and see how much i can offset the front sprocket.

BTW to change spark wires i have to buy them with new coils (or whatever those cylinders are that are attached at the end of the wire)?

wires really arent as bad as they look behind the light...everything is basically plug and play...but they do stuff quite a bit behind there
the spark plug wires should unthread at both ends...loosen the retaining nut on the coil...and pull the small boot cap back at the plug end.The old wire will unthread and the new one will thread on.
Be sure to get copper core wires as the other types of wires create problems.

w
the spark plug wires should unthread at both ends...loosen the retaining nut on the coil...and pull the small boot cap back at the plug end.The old wire will unthread and the new one will thread on.
Be sure to get copper core wires as the other types of wires create problems.

not on the sohc models.( well not mine) but you can mod the coil to take out the wire and epoxy a new one in!!

Sitting there, it looks good small framed like that....but I'm afraid that the "smallness" will change when the forks get put back on. I'd have to see it then to make an educated decision on whether I'd extend the swingarm or not.

Looks good though!

yea, you'll have to run a difazio setup on the front :D

what's difazio?

difazioFXCD0014Duringcontruction.jpg

Thanks guys!
hardtailed77 - yea the forks may really screw it up, will see when i get unlazy and put bearings back in.
drewpy - thats one crazy system, the bikes with it look like Pushmi-Pullyu.
eric123 - yes i really am.

Back