1980 Special

Currently Pete is only offering an ignition replacement for points bikes. He is testing a full TCI replacement unit but it's not available for sale yet.
Not sure about an improvement with a pamco ignition over a working TCI unit. Until we hear more about the testing there's no way to know.

Use a 7mm copper core wire. If your TCI works there is no need to replace it. until Pete make a full e-advance electronic ignition for these bikes the factory TCI is your best deal.

Thanks BBS 360 and xschris for that info! I have been looking through the how to section as well as the what to do 1st to your xs section. I have been gathering info and realize there is a wealth of information here, the best thing I can do is learn all I can, then go put into action the planned changes! I have owned many bikes through the years, but never modified frame, seat, etc. I am looking forward to it, and will keep posting further progress.

My build got delayed because of...life! Mostly due to tearing down an old deck and building another one. That's done, and the winter weather in Michigan has been more like late fall, so some progress has been resumed! I started tearing more stuff off, battery box and air cleaners, going for that open triangle look I like so much. Need to find some pod filters, what has anyone used with success? And do they just clamp on to the H pipe?
I still have much to do, from what I have learned by looking at many other builds here is to get or make your seat(at least the base) before making the rear hoop. Sounds logical, and I have left plenty of rear frame in anticipation of that. Thinking of starting with a skateboard body, as some have done, and was hoping to recycle the old pullback handlebars into a new hoop, as I have seen someone here do. Also a compact battery as well as tucking in all electrical is going to be needed. I like the modern push in fuses to replace the glass ones too. I also cut most of the old chrome shock cover off, leaving just the top part, I may remove altogether later, any opinions on this? I also just downloaded the manuals on this site, as all I have now is a Hanes manual. Love the resources and support here, without it I would have no clue what to do! Here are some recent pictures.
100_2444.jpg
100_2446.jpg
100_2449.jpg

I will be adding the fenders, the front will be shortened, as well as the rear. I will be using the stock fenders, just cut down, holes and welds sanded and filled, and then painted.

Cut about 4 inches off each end of the front fender, had a buddy weld them back together. I've never been that great at body work, but the first coat of bondo has been put on, and lots of sanding and more bondo is in my future!
100_2563.JPG

Still waiting for the tail/brake light I ordered from Amazon (China) to show up, but I did get the turn signals! They are only 2 wire, so they will only be on to blink, not as running lights. They have 10 watt bulbs in them, not sure what the stock bulbs are, so I may need to either change out the flasher relay, or get higher wattage bulbs ( I think that's the better option). Will have to see when they are all mounted and wired. Check out the box they came in, apparently their idea of recycling is just to turn the packaging from a different product inside out, and re-use it again.
100_2568.JPG

Looks like it's been more than a year since I have posted any new pictures of my XS so I thought I would share a couple. I still have a list of things I would still like to do; paint, clean up the wiring and delete some unused connectors, make the seat removable with no tools, etc. but for now it has been a long time working on it so I'm riding it for the rest of the season! The hardest part of all this by far after cutting the back of the frame off was figuring out what to do for a seat and how to attach it, that and getting the shortened rear fender mounted and making clearance for the wheel travel. I ended up going with 3/4" longer Hagon shocks, and getting a custom seat made at a local shop after I made the base from some 1/4" ply and fiberglass. Without this forum I would not have been able to do any of this. I am thankful for all the resources of people and their knowledge and willingness to help, without that I would not have been able to complete this!0617171410b_Burst04.jpg 0617171410e_Burst04.jpg 0617171410d_Burst03.jpg.

Back