1980 XS400

Just one wire goes the headlight and there is a small toggle switch mounted to the headlight. If you look closely at the left hand coil there is a three way crimp connector, the two red leads off the coils go there with both wire into one crimp connection. Another wire goes the toggle switch in the headlight and another wire goes to a toggle switch that works as an ignition switch per se. The toggle is then connected to a small battery. If I turns the ignition on with the light switch off it will pop the in line fuse.

Clear as mud, right?

I went and tried to transfer title but got shut down since the bike doesn't have an odometer. If I would have know I would have rigged one up and just lied about the mileage. So it's off to the DMV to get their blessing, but I was also told the bike is missing the smog cert since it's from out of state. I didn't think this bike had any smog equipment on it to begin with??!!

Who did you talk to? It sounds like they don't know what they're talking about. The bike should be exempt due to age. Do they actually want to see the bike to transfer a title? I just bring in my paperwork. No one actually looks at the bike.

I guess they do! How are people supposed to keep antique vehicles on the road?

I wonder. Is it actually registered as an antique? Mine originally wasn't. I had to do that on my own.

In California, caring about the side effects of excessive regulation has been found to cause cancer in politicians, special interest groups, and lobbyists and has been banned... ;)

Who did you talk to? It sounds like they don't know what they're talking about. The bike should be exempt due to age. Do they actually want to see the bike to transfer a title? I just bring in my paperwork. No one actually looks at the bike.
I went to AAA, you can just walk in and it usually takes a few minutes. We were all good until he noticed the bike has no odometer. He ended up calling the DMV and they told him what I needed. I'm thinking about buying a used speedometer, rig it up...and take it back to AAA and see if I can get the title taken care of.

:yikes:I never heard anything about trying to register a motorcycle in all my life.Trying to get it registered with all the fees and taxes etc is going to more than what the bike is probably worth.:wtf:

:yikes:I never heard anything about trying to register a motorcycle in all my life.Trying to get it registered with all the fees and taxes etc is going to more than what the bike is probably worth.:wtf:
I paid the taxes and fees...$162. I think I'll pick up a used speedometer with a mounting bracket and cable and rig it up so it looks like the bike has a working odometer and take it to another AAA, there's quite a few of them around and they are open on Saturdays. If I can get them to sign off I can avoid the hassle of the DMV.

Do whatever it takes. When I put my new aftermarket odometer on I was worried about the mileage being off since the new one starts at zero. I talked to a guy that ran an inspection station and he says it doesn't matter as long as you're not trying to deceive people and claim the mileage is lower for the purpose of a sale. For personal use he said it didn't matter. This is NH though! We are lax in some areas and strict in others.

Did these bikes come with a chain slider? They are pretty much mandatory on dirt bikes but I don't think I've ever seen them on a street bike. The chain is rubbing just a bit on the swing arm on my bike.

Are you replacing the sprockets also? It's a good idea to do it all at the same time.

Back