1982 Seca Project Newb

I start with a water based de-greaser (like Castrol's Super Clean) to get rid of any oil, grease or fuel residue. Then I use a mild acid to remove corrosion. Actually a water based household cleaner that will remove soap and hard water residue. Vinegar or lemon juice should also work. Simmering the parts over low heat also helps. If you have access to an ultra-sonic cleaner, use it!

Dave

Ok one more question. What is my speedo ratio?? are most speedos universal??

Ok one more question. What is my speedo ratio?? are most speedos universal??
I think the ratio has to vary since different models have a different front wheel rolling circumference - e.g., the Seca has an 18" front wheel while the Maxim version of the dohc has a 19". Maybe the difference is accounted for with different mechanisms at the wheel end of the cable - thus making speedos universal, but if the difference is accounted for inside the speedo then you will have to choose the right one.

There is a thread on here which outlines a fairly easy way to test it yourself and determine the ratio if you can find it on "Search".

haha ok...Lou??? Also what do you think of the diagram is it going to be ok??
To confirm - you are asking ME about your wiring diagram? I am sorry to say I have no experience with bike wiring (if you don't count changing bulbs) and almost no knowledge of most of the electrical parts which have been invented over the last 50 years - so I can't offer any help. :shrug:

I understand the battery and I could understand a simple generator - and switches. Switches make sense - completing the circuit lets the lightning flow, breaking the circuit stops the lightning.
But for the life of me I don't understand all the stuff on my bike. What are rectifiers? What are regulators? What is a stator?
And how come my bike needs all that stuff yet my lawnmower runs fine without any of it - no battery, regulator, rectifier, generator, alternator or, for that matter, no switch?

Ya thanks for the help anyway but ya do you know if a maxim tank will drop onto a seca frame??

No no, Lou, can you check if the Seca tank drops onto the Maxim frame? I recommended you for the research (and I'm curious too.)
It is the same frame so I have to assume the undersides of the tanks are the same. I don't have a spare Maxim tank to try, but I will take a close look in the daylight tomorrow and try to confirm.

Ok guys so you might not like what Im doing to the bike, but I am having a lot of fun with this. I thought I wanted to do a bobber, but this bike isnt great for that, so I have shaped into something else. Not sure what the outcome will be, but I have a few pics to share.

Bare.jpgHere she is before the tare down

Frame 2.jpg I found an old seat and cut it how I wanted. This shows some of the lines it will have. Also, finally got the frame painted. What do you think so far?

I think I am going to go with a tan color for the tank and some other accessories. Any suggestions?

Ya I think I should be barely ok...I hope...I got my buddy who is 220+ to sit on the bike and it seemed to have enough space before I did it, and the shock is set up loose so hopefully the shock still has good life and I can tighten it to make it stiffer.

Cool.

Sit on it, or bounce on it?

I only harp on it because I'm working on my own tail, and I think my current set-up will tear my license plate off... which is, ah, sub-optimal.

Back