82 Seca chop

Ok well thats what I wanted to hear. I dont have my motor at my house, and I was going to mount the battery box, but I think I need to wait and make sure I get clearance with the chain.

Thanks 83xs400

The other place that would be awesome, but a bit more work, is underneath the transmission. If you look on the right side, there is an unused hole. An AGM battery would snuggle in behind the oil filter cover, and there are a couple that would sit higher than the lowest part of the engine there.

Unfortunately, there is no matching hole on the left side, and there would be heat and vibration issues. But it would definitely be gone and out of the way...

83xs400: Just curious - what size is your front tyre? Looks like Metzeler Lasertec? Can You check it for me? Thanks

I mean this one:

Attachments

• 4g 361.jpg
    4g 361.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Lucky8, I dont have that tire anymore i could tell you. I got the tires changed last week and left the old ones there as they were all weather cracked and such. Sorry i cant help you. The size was a 100/90-19 though... but i replaced with a 110/90-19 for a beeffier look

I bought all the stuff off a Harley sportster.
The seat was 20$ and came with 3" springs.

Heavy metal, how's the bike coming? Gunna have it done by spring?

Yes mate been busy with college but the upside is I get to fabricate a lot of the parts there for free just got to smuggle it out, I got some square tube to replace the monoshock and gonna start work on the battery box this Monday. Very impressed with how yours has turned out I'm itching to get going with this, will post pics soon!

Finally got to cut the back end of the frame down, didn't realise there was so much electrics and gubbins under there, cutting the frame took minutes but removing crap is taking forever with seized and rounded bolts etc.
Has anyone figured out how to remove the airbox before taking the monoshock out? I guess it doesn't matter too much as I'm replacing it with square tubing anyway.
I realised that suzuki GS tank is probably too long and bulky to look good on a chopped bike so I'm going to have a go at making my own coffin tank, it'll do for now though.
Gonna buy a grinding disc and clean up the cuts tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 302
Cheers 83xs400! It'll probably go in the bin anyway I don't reckon there's much call for replacement airboxes, can't imagine they break too often. Out of interest, what length did you cut your tube section to? I figure if I make it shorter than the monoshock the bike will sit lower and have more of a chopper style stance. Is this the case?

2 ways to remove the air box: 1) Remove the rear shock. It's a single bolt. I'm sure you can find it, and remove it.
2) Cut the airbox away. If you're not going to use it anyway, it's just a big chunk of plastic.

Some interesting notes I realized AFTER removing my airbox - obviously, you'll need to build a battery box. Also, the rear brake light switch hangs on the airbox, so you'll need to find a new place to hook the switch.

Ill measure it from bolt hole to bolt hole tonight when this thousand mils of rains stops..
you can see the difference here, i also had to cut out 2 + inchs outa my kick stand so i could still use it.

you can see how much lower it is

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 295
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 277
Been messing around today, managed to get the airbox and plastic mudguard out after removing the monoshock. I put my back wheel up on blocks until I had it around about where I want it so I'll measure the tube section against that and hopefully have it cut up and in place by Monday evening. Got to tidy up my cuts next and build a battery box.

Attachments

• IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 270
Never mind spring, I'll not be able to afford a licence for a very very long time! So far I've kept this build well below £400 I might fork out for a nice small speedo and tyres.
Everything else I want to fab myself, seatpan, tank, mudguards, battery box and licence plate holder. I've been entertaining the idea of doing a long tank right down the frame to the back wheel with the seat as a cut away, seems a bit ambitious though!

if you can make all that then you might as well. its cheap entertainment. Especially if you can have a few beers while your at it. I got my tank off a 1980ish 454 Ltd Kawi.
Everything else was made by me or one of my buddies. 400 isnt much to work with but i only spend 1320 total including buying it. That covers registration and the plate...

haha yeah the £400 included buying it, got it for £270 running with all paperwork :) it's the licence and the insurance that will be the killer! Gonna see if some friends wanna chip in for renting a workshop, trying to do all this in the garden is such a ball ache!

Back