82 Seca chop

Thanks bentwrench, I've been looking through them on here but not sure which is the exact right one, would you be able to point me in the right direction?
Also the bike has had 14 previous owners and looks like a few of them have had attempts at wiring before so I have to work out their modifications too. I think I'm going to strip it back to the bare minimum to start and run without lights or anything and then add extras to the circuit myself.
Got a multimeter today anyway that makes life a lot easier!

If you haven't already downloaded it the entire manual for the 1983 seca is online. There are slight differences in the seca and your bike, but they are mainly cosmetic differences. The electrical and engine should be about 95% the same.

Go to the garage page. Click on the xs400 manuals link and it is the 3rd post down

The post looks like this but it also has the pdf attachments for the manual

Service manual for the 1982 XS400 in English, French, and German. Large download. Should be good for all DOHC models.
Chapter 1 - General Information
Chapter 2 - Periodic Inspection and Adjustments
Chapter 3 - Engine Overhaul - Part 1 - Removal and Disassembly
Chapter 3 - Engine Overhaul - Part 2 - Inspection and Repair
Chapter 3 - Engine Overhaul - Part 3 - Assembly and Adjustment
Chapter 4 - Carburetion
Chapter 5 - Chassis
Chapter 6 - Electrical
Chapter 7 - Appendices

The best electrical diagram is in chapter 7. It is the most complete and shows the connections and wire colors.

well i put off doing the wiring, but did get a suzuki gn tank that fit well with only a little bit of alteration, pretty pleased with how its looking now, not the look i originally wanted to go for (i like skinny bikes) but i needed something to cover that awful pressed frame up.

Attachments

• gn tank black.jpg
    gn tank black.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 328
hey can you snap some pics of what you did under the seat section, i have a similar build and trying to figure out how i want to do the hard tailing of my bike, just looking for inspiration.

Yes mate ill try get some photos later. first remove the shock absorber, then cut down some square tube section to fit the gap. centrepunch and drill 12mm holes each end then bolt in place. The tube section was 40mm wide which was a really snug fit. It's only bolted for now but when I get on a MIG set I'll strengthen it.

Attachments

• hardtail1.jpg
    hardtail1.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
finally stopped pissing it down here in sheffield so got a bit of work done, got some new wheels off a friend which were almost a perfect fit, just got to make some spacers up for them, thinking of painting them black. Also got rid of the awful 2 into 1 exhaust, gonna have a go at making some high level slash cut pipes.

Attachments

• new wheels.jpg
    new wheels.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 297
Back