Accurate Specs of Bike

Yusiro

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been searching around, trying to find accurate specifications of my bike (things like top speed, fuel tank capacity, etc). One site will tell me a top speed of 100mph, another one will tell me a top speed of 80mph... I'm not sure who's being honest (though I would assume it's the lower one).

Anyways, my bike specifically is a 1982 xs400 Heritage Special. I looked through the Haynes manual as well as the service manual from this site with no luck.

Does anyone have somewhere I could look up the specs, or know the specs with some level of authority... I really don't trust wikipedia.

Thanks very much!

As far a fuel tank capacity, I looked as a picture of an XS400SJ and it looks like the same tank as my '79 XS400F. According to the manual, the capacity is 3.7 gallons/14 liters.

As far as top speed, whatever was published "back in the day" is pretty useless information now. Maybe on a new bike, a test on a new bike would mean something. After 20+ years, top speed is a function of your size, your bike's compression, your bike's tune and whatever changes have been made to your bike over the past decades.

That being said, I was having trouble coaxing my bike to 65mph and keeping it there, which I knew was wrong. Long story short, I found out my timing was off, so not having a strobe, I used the static timing procedure in the manual and from a good YouTube tutorial, and on Saturday, I easily surpassed 65mph and got up to around 80mph with a little more left...but not much. Keep in mind I present quite the aerodynamic and gravitational challenge as I am 6'3"- 230#.

As I haven't had much opportunity to ride this bike before it went out, I might add that my top speed was managed on a long downhill, following closely behind my friends SUV, I'm not sure what a flat road top speed should be, can anyone inform me? Or do I have to find out my self when it comes back from the mechanic on saturday?:bike:

I got 100 on the speedo, I've done 90 for 1/2 hour or so till the wind got better of me. seca should do 108mph

I have a stock '77 XS400 and I can do 100 on the highways fairly easily when I tuck in. It doesn't have much left after that though. Wiki says top speed of 109. I'd say mine's prolly 105 but I have some minor issues I'm still working to fix with the carbs and exhaust. I am 5' 6" at 150lbs.

Nope, the remake with Ben Stiller :)
never been to Russia, dont plan on it either. Im good here in the States and Im sure there good without me as well. :)

Here's a site I refer to when I come across something "fairly common" that I aint seen before or need a reminder. Link goes straight to 400 seca (I have a pair in the works) but you can surf around. They don't really have write-ups for every single year as many years saw no changes but should get the info you're after. My experience with my Seca750 is that factory listed top speed is simply redline in top cog and can be coaxed a fair bit higher.

anyone else get speed wobbles over 70? i drilled out my front disk and had the bit walk on a few of em (only millimeters) but i'm assuming (hoping) this is my problem. that would be best case scenario i'm assuming. anyone else find anything that specifically would cause this on an 80 special?

You drilled the holes so that they aerodynamicaly off center now you have high speed wobble.
I found a bike today that I maybe purchasing. a Kawasaki 305 it has a top speed of 98mph vs the 95mph mine should get

Back