Best option? Bobber project tail light question.

vtislander

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have a minor issue with my bobber project and was looking for advice if anyone has ran into this before. I bought this light for my bobber. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bobber-Brake-Tail-Light-Rat-Bike-1-BLACK-TAILLIGHT-Running-Light-542-/120841418587?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c22b5b75b&vxp=mtr The problem with this light is that when the brake is applied the change from running to braking is very un noticeable. The light was powder coated so I am having a tough time even getting in to look at the bulb. In theory would a different dual filament bulb work in there and possibly do a better showing a change in lighting? I would rather not have to replace entire light if possible.. Thanks for your help.

The little silver screw under the lens should let you take it apart then you may be able to upgrade to a better bulb or maybe even a led beware not all led 1157 bulbs are created equal and a few extra bucks can save you some heart ache.

:wtf: After a closer look it appears that the running fillament is the brighter brake light. When the brakes are applied it is joined by I am guessing what is supposed to be the running light which makes a small difference in brightness. There are 2 wires for the light. Could this be as easy as switching the connection? Or possibly something else going on? Thanks!

so I cut and re soldered the wires to their opposites. it worked! i have a functional brake light. Later on I noticed my front left blinker is now running but not blinking. It also seems to be getting extra hot. When it was first hooked up it was shorting out a bit. My guess is that it is un related to the tail light but strange for it to happen right after. any thoughts? fix one thing and another breaks. :doh: story of my life.

Back