Reaction score
brat style or hardtail.
there is the most famous brat ive seen
http://www.travis-mc.com/various/xs400chop/xs400chop19.jpg
and then there is a hardtail
http://www.custom-choppers-guide.com/images/xs400-hardtail-bobber-21278560.jpg
and another brat
http://www.650motorcycles.com/images/Malidrag2.jpg

i personally have always liked hardtails, just that rigid frame look. But ive seen those brats and i really like those aswell. but, i have no idea how to get the brat look/swing arm except i did read about extending swingarms. well im just asking for info on both, which one is better on a budget build? and if anyone has any how-to's on making a brat like the 2 i posted, post the link. let the opinions roll!

-JT

extending the swingarm doesn't make a bike a brat :p for the xs you need to change the frame, like in the first brat you posted (we have a topic with a lot of pics of this build somewhere, ah HERE it is). The second one simply looks like a horrible mess

and i'm not sure which is more work, and which is cheaper. I'd guess adjusting the frame for a brat(including a possible swingarm extension) is easier than completely hardtailing the bike

obviously you're gonna have to take a look at gastanks, handlebars, headlight etc to get the look you want

here's a pic of the brat i'm making, the swingarm isn't extended:
img073v.jpg

and HERE is my topic about the build :)

just take all the cues from other bikes and put them in a list, from that list derive what the easiest way is to achieve the look you want, if you convince yourself to do extensive frame mods you may end up spending more cash..once your frame is nice.. the rest needs to be nice

BUT...it all comes down to how u want it to look, dosnt have to be brat, cafe or hardtail, just needs to be something that you like to look at and ride

well i would send my bike to PSW for the hardtail service if i go that route, and the brat style, i think i could handle a little cutting and welding. but for full hardtail, i dont wanna mess that up.

That build is by these guys.

If you like this I have the build thread for it somewhere from the Dutch m/c site.

Still one of the best XS400's out there in my opinion (whatever that's worth, lol :shrug:).

hmmm...its tough, because i dont have a pipe bender so i couldnt make the frame mods myself, so i would have to find someone who could, then that comes into play with just payin PSW to do a weld on hardtail. hmmm these are tough choices...

i'm just gonna go out on a limb and tell you not to adhere to a particular style. who cares if brats aren't hardtail. if thats what you want go for it and you can still take other styling cues from Brats. i like brat/cafe/cruisers sho what the hell do you call that? lol

i know this isn't a xs400 but this is what i would call a brat/cafe/cruiser!!

Attachments

• 56496d1247500823-nightster-oil-tank-and-battery-cover-custom-or-aftermarket-img_1973.jpg
    56496d1247500823-nightster-oil-tank-and-battery-cover-custom-or-aftermarket-img_1973.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 278
Back