Chain makes snapping noise

... I couldn't get the nut off the front sprocket even with a 4ft leverage bar.. so I left it on. the teeth were in great condition
Forgive a dumb question, but I'm just curious. Is your front sprocket secured with a single nut on the shaft, or did you mean one of the nuts wouldn't come off?
Mine has a retainer clip with 2 bolts and with that set-up one wouldn't need to worry about stripping any threads since it bolts into the sprocket that's being discarded anyway.

Attachments

• F-S retainer.JPG
    F-S retainer.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 208
O Ring chains are great, and more expensive, and involve less maintenance. Huzzah.

Or you can simply clean your chain monthly and lube it.

the costs will be equal.

your chains fine,

mine was doing this before also, its the alignment of your rear tire.

if the rear sprocket and front sprocket dont sit in line with eachother it will cause the chain to ride up the side of the sprocket (either front or back) and snap back down into the troughs creating this sound.

take a long level and hold it on the flat side of the back sprocket and touch the other end of the level to the flat side of the little one. they should be damn near perfect or else the chain will run funny.

also a 1/4" of slop is definatly not enough especially on a bike with a swing arm. im running a hardtail so it needs more tension. look at some dirt bike forums, theres certain ways to check correct tightness. the swing arm may have to be at full droop and then the chain checked.

if the chains too tight it makes bad sounds aswell. and they can be loud.

your chains fine, mine was doing this before also, its the alignment of your rear tire...take a long level and hold it on the flat side of the back sprocket and touch the other end of the level to the flat side of the little one. they should be damn near perfect or else the chain will run funny...
When I changed my front sprocket, there was some debate on here about which way around it was to go. My old one had the raised spacer ring facing in, smooth side out. B-W (I think) had his in the opposite way thanks to his PO. Not a big difference but certainly enough to fail your level test FUBAR.
Something to check smealy if you have the same type of sprocket with the built in spacer.

Attachments

• Front 17T.JPG
    Front 17T.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 212
Back