Clutch Basket and drive gear play

trzcina2

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

It's been a while since my last post... However i noticed strange sound from right part of engine near clutch and decided to take right cover apart.

What i found was a bit surprising so it is time to ask you guys for advice.

1. My clutch basket and sprocket behind it has a LOT (a few milimeters) of play. Is this normal? When i hold sprocket by my hand i can move basket left and right with my other hand. I bought another second hand basket clutch and it has the same problem.
4540_large.jpg

2. My inner clutch boss also have play on inner splines.
$T2eC16V,!)8E9s4l7bT)BRL9Wl4Ihw--60_35.JPG

I attached pictures so you can see what i'm talking about if my description is not sufficient :)

Can any one tell me if there should be some amount of free play or it should be tight without sightless movement

Regards,
Maciej

There is going to be play in tran/clutch parts to allow for heat expansion. The manual will have specs on tolerances with some of them.

I got my clutch basket re-peened over as it was loose. there's a little movement on the inner, but not much or the thing would smash on the splines and eventually peen over the alloy.
for piece of mind see if you can get another and check

I have looked at eight different ones with miles ranging from 1k to 35k and they all had a bit of movement in them. Remember that this part only spin in one direction. Also when it gets hot the metal will expand and the play will be gone. How many miles are there on yours?

I am working on my clutch right now and noticed that it has a very small amount of play around the basket rivets, less than 0.1mm. The splines have more play.. probably 0.4mm

My clutch was missing a shim behind the circlip. There is easily 0.5mm play which does not seem right to me.... Did yours have a shim (washer) or not?

IMG_0352.JPG

I have seen some motors with and without the shim. I would use the shim. I have them on all my bikes. It makes for a better clutch feel and takes "play" out of it. I picked up a bunch off ebay a while back and yamaha may still have them. Look them up by the part number.

Back