Clutch Issue - seems as though clutch doesn't work

the81cafe

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So here's the issue. I have the rear of the bike on jack stands (i replaced the chain). I also changed the clutch plates, clutch springs and clutch cable. When I started the bike, again on jack stands, I put it in first gear and let the rear wheel spin so I could ensure that the rear wheel was tracking properly. To ensure that the clutch was put back together properly, I pulled the clutch lever in (again while in first gear) and when I gave it throttle with the clutch lever in, the rear wheel accelerated with the reaction of the throttle. My question is, is this normal? It was almost as if the clutch played no factor with the acceleration of the rear wheel. Everything was put back together properly (clutch push rod, then bearing; clutch cable routed exactly as the original; pressure and friction plates installed correctly; everything was done exactly as the original---i followed the manual courtesy of this site). I don't want to risk firing the bike up with the rear wheel on the ground, pull the clutch in, put in first and it takes off unexpectedly. Any advice, help or knowledge with this issues? Thanks.

if the clutch is in it might spin/drag a little but the spinning shouldn't match the rpms. did you adjust the clutch cable (the nut and Philips screw under the black rubber plug)? The lever should have 3mm of "slack" before it pulls the cable. I feel like I'm always having to adjust that stupid adjustment nut and screw :p If I don't i'll ride somewhere and realize I basically only have like .000001" of a clutch

the clutch will drag as the oil between the plate acts as a fluid drive. Its only the weight of the motorcycle that stops is moving forward.

did you soak the plates in oil before fitting?

While running in gear on the stand. Pull in the clutch and step on the rear brake. If the wheel stops then your ok.
Leo

if the clutch is in it might spin/drag a little but the spinning shouldn't match the rpms. did you adjust the clutch cable (the nut and Philips screw under the black rubber plug)? The lever should have 3mm of "slack" before it pulls the cable. I feel like I'm always having to adjust that stupid adjustment nut and screw :p If I don't i'll ride somewhere and realize I basically only have like .000001" of a clutch

This was the stupid mistake I made when I replaced my clutch - I forgot to "un-adjust" the adjuster & couldn't figure out why it wouldn't disengage. Spent about an hour trying this & that before I remembered the adjuster :doh:

Posted via Mobile

Back