cutting chrome covers on rear suspension?

tbakic

1st cafe project underway
Reaction score
i was curious if i can just cut these chrome caps with reflectors off of the rear suspension. i hate them and just want to see the spring lol, if i have to i will buy new ones but hey, what the heck :shrug:, id rather cut them off lol

they circled in this picture
cutthis.jpg

thanks guys!

They can be removed by taking them apart. You will need a spring compress to do this.

Second for removing by compressing. I find it also gives you a chance to check the absorber so you know if its shot. Kinda hard to tell unless you have it apart or have ridden it.

Also I think if you cut them you are going to leave a nasty burr from the cut metal.

I pulled mine apart last week. I used my hydraulic press to compress them then loosen the nut inside. Be carefull a spring compressor will be the safest way. This is when I found my shocks were toast, so I bought a nice un-used set off a guy who upgraded his harley to air ride. Only paid 50 bucks for the pair.

i got my shocks apart without a compressor took a bunch of fandangling though did it while they were mounted on the bike. a couple flatheads and a 14mm wrench

with the shock off. one at a time obviously unless you have a jack, or center stand, tape a clean line around, with a cut off wheel on your dremel it should be a cinch i did it to my project bike and they came out perfect!
c6a35ab5cbaa4babb9e547ba819b6e3a_7.jpg

Back