Does anyone else on here have an '82 XS400R?

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I'm looking for others with my same year, model and R-type classification. It would be nice to have some go-to folks who know what I'm looking at :)

Example A: I, for the life of me, can't come up with an idea as to how to go about developing a backrest / rear-rack for my bike.

I do too. 1982 XS400RJ Seca.

Should be straightforward enough fabbing to mount to the points for the rear grabrail thing. Might have to get rid of it, though. But, that gives you two offset mounting points on each side.

A fab shop (or yourself) ought to be able to come up with something robust enough in the way of a rack and/or passenger backrest.

Copyof2011-12-01FirstDaytoWork.jpg

Where the heck is the fuel filter?

I pulled one side of the petcock off (the plate by the vacuum), thinking it was there but to no avail.

So I would basically need to drain the gas, eyeball the filter, clean if necessary (how?) and then fill 'er back up. If there is a screen filter, I'm with you. It would be easier to deal with an inline filter.

If I install one, I'd like to NOT have that screen in there as it would eventually need to be looked at again (double duty) plus it might bog my power being as how I'd be running two filters.

Thoughts?

leave it on, i see from a previous post you have a weep. now's the time to have a looksey and use a kit to revamp/clean it.

I too have an xs400rj seca with a large filter on the petcock.It's large enough to go a long time before it collects enough trash to clog up. lha

Hey guys :)

I keep getting fuel line from auto-zone that either feels reeeally tight going on or (next size up) loose enough that I require hose clamps.

What is the exact fuel line size I should be using?

I had the same problem as Drewpy.Sludge would pass the petcock filter and plug up the carbs.Had to limp it home on one cylinder.Now i run an inline filter.By the way congrats Drewpy on the horse article.

I've got an XS400rj. I agree my carbs idle jet would plug even though my tank has a nice liner. I put a cheap plastic inline filter for now and no more dirty carbs. Just dirty girls.

I had the same problem as Drewpy.Sludge would pass the petcock filter and plug up the carbs.Had to limp it home on one cylinder.Now i run an inline filter.By the way congrats Drewpy on the horse article.

thanks, is it out yet?

Hey, guys!

I have a new order of business for this here post ;-)

I'm replacing my turn signal bulbs with LEDs and XSLeo was explaining to me about how the flasher will need to be replaced.

I bought this one per his suggestion: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...ion=DispPage&Page2Disp=/specs/LFS-1-FLAT.html

My question now is, where do I find the component that is to be replaced?

@XSLeo, I remember you mentioning the wire colors. Now I'm wondering where to start searching for them.

Also, am I removing the stock flasher and putting this in it's place?

Yes, it fits right where the stock flasher goes. Usually under the tank or seat.
If you turn on your turn signals and follow the clicking you are sure to find it.
Your stock flasher gets it's power on a brown wire. Then power goes out on a brown/white wire. Any other get ignored, they just work with the self canceler unit.
On the FS-1 flasher you will have a red or gray wire and a black. The red or gray goes to the brown wire, the black to the brown/white wire.
Leo

Back