Drewpy's clutch window

that and those "controversal" headlamps!. funny they highlighted the 400 in a 250 frame, its true , but not exactly hard to do!

Man, I'll maybe steal this idea from you...or something similar... I don't like my right engine cover too much, It's too simple imo... Luckily I have still enough time to think this out (I presume 1 year or longer with my slow progress:D). Do you know how thick (cca) is this wall? Is it possible to put this piece of "glass" from the inside of the cover without the outside frame? Another way to go could be some engraving

Man, I'll maybe steal this idea from you...or something similar... I don't like my right engine cover too much, It's too simple imo... Luckily I have still enough time to think this out (I presume 1 year or longer with my slow progress:D). Do you know how thick (cca) is this wall? Is it possible to put this piece of "glass" from the inside of the cover without the outside frame? Another way to go could be some engraving

not sure what cca is?

and what is this wall?

nothing can be mounted inside the cover as the clutch basket is very close. you need to get a rebated porthole and perspex. after 1000 miles it still great and doesn't leak.

This mod seems to be very popular. Some companies are even making them for bikes. There are a lot of them on the web and I remember even seeing this done on one of those biker build offs back in 05 or 06 I think jesse rooke did one for it. Some pics of some that I have seen on other bikes for some inspiration:wink2:

Attachments

• 2l9ntas.jpg
    2l9ntas.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 775
  • GSGClutchCoverBandit1250.jpg
    GSGClutchCoverBandit1250.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 369
  • GSGClutchCoverVmax09.jpg
    GSGClutchCoverVmax09.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 373
  • ZX14ClearClutch1.jpg
    ZX14ClearClutch1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 345
  • gallery_554_564_584937.jpg
    gallery_554_564_584937.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
not sure what cca is?

and what is this wall?

nothing can be mounted inside the cover as the clutch basket is very close. you need to get a rebated porthole and perspex. after 1000 miles it still great and doesn't leak.

Sorry, "cca" is approximately...and wall thickness of the side cover:banghead:

This mod seems to be very popular. Some companies are even making them for bikes. There are a lot of them on the web and I remember even seeing this done on one of those biker build offs back in 05 or 06 I think jesse rooke did one for it. Some pics of some that I have seen on other bikes for some inspiration:wink2:

Thanks chris:thumbsup:

I went on ebay and searched for portholes, and a nice little alloy number popped up for £1.60.

IMAG0164.jpg

I cut a 92mm hole out using a hole saw, made a gasket and bolt the thing to the cover using 4mm x 20mm stainless nyloc nuts. Then finished the gasket with some RTV to ensure its oil tight.

IMAG0243.jpg

A friend has cut me a 100mm Lexan plate to fit in the window, so I got a clutch window for about £4.

nothing more to say really

fc302c49.jpg

it was 2 years ago, the seller doesn't list those anymore

they are a door furniture feature I remember. google/search porthole

Other than the (cool) cosmetic feature, does this offer any practical benefit? Like being able to judge clutch wear? Has the engine oil stained the Lexan?

Other than the (cool) cosmetic feature, does this offer any practical benefit? Like being able to judge clutch wear? Has the engine oil stained the Lexan?

no, just a cool feature, no staining at all it needs to get hot to go clear as the oil is kept at temp

I used the original alternator cover, I think I have some pictures on Photobucket that I used to do it. It all depends on what you can get hold of.

I have seen the alt. cover mod. on a few bikes from the german forum do you sell these and how much?

Back