First XS400 Cafe Conversion

photostream

Okay been awhile since uploading photos here, finally done with my first XS400, we'll see if i can get some photos up

HTML:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/banghead/8610287120/

Attachments

• BIkeDon3e.jpg
    BIkeDon3e.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 355
First xs400 done, cant wait to start the next, I have sure dang learned a lot, many things i will do differently and the same on next one, but will do a bobber next for sure.

Attachments

• Bikedone02.jpg
    Bikedone02.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 348
Built the seat out of wood, probably use steel next but worked out okay

Attachments

• bikepipe.jpg
    bikepipe.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 315
With the larger tires i needed a longer kickstand so i cut the original and welded it to a wrench

Attachments

• WrenchSideStand.jpg
    WrenchSideStand.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 307
Man these tires barely fit, infact they didnt clear the chain but it was really the look i was going for so i made them work. I decided to go to 520 pitch chain which is about 3/32" thinner or so sprocket, I used 2 with the inside one cut down just to use for spacer. Ya yikes i know. But damn love that rubber!

Attachments

• Sprockets.jpg
    Sprockets.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 291
Clean the tank through electrolysis and some wash grade backing soda, came out spotless

Attachments

• TankElectrolysis.jpg
    TankElectrolysis.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 311
Got some TCBros forward controls, but must not have been for my bike ('80 XS400/G) as I had to make some mount frame ears and weld them to the engine mounts, i have no idea why a XS/Special would be different or have different mounts with ears that come out for the TCBros forward controls to bolt to. Anyway cut my own, hope they hold :yikes:

Attachments

• ForwardControlMounts.jpg
    ForwardControlMounts.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 281
  • ForwardControlMounts01.jpg
    ForwardControlMounts01.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 282
Pan for electrical! Not sure would do the same next time, for a start i should of rewired completely new and really liked Drewpy's how-to on that, because of no blinkers, etc... i could have cut down on how much wire is stuffed around. Had electrical issues initially, i thought it was the CDI box and after soldering on some new transistors, buy a 3rd CDI box I figured out it was a simple miss-wiring:wtf: But i tell you what i know the electrical like the back of my hand, cost me a shit load of frustration though.

Attachments

• ElectricalBox.jpg
    ElectricalBox.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 304
Did the stock wiring fit in that headlight or did you modify the harness?

Forward controls with clip-ons sounds brutal!

I hear ya on the controls, i had to move/swing the clip-ons back some to get some relief, one the things i wont do again. I modified the harness some and buried under the tank, again next time i will for sure rewire from scratch to have better fitting and more efficient wiring.

anybody know where i can get front drum brakeshoes? I found the rears but cant locate the fronts.

Thanks!

Ya seems like that is where a lot of work occurrs, working out the bugs when the rubber meets the streets. Runs great, very fast, those Mikuni racing carbs really suck in some gas. Fires up on first spark and runs great, I will look up the jets and get back to you as its been a while since i have, ended having to replace the jet needles as i bent one when working on them. The forward controls are actually pretty dang comfortable, it worked out perfecty for length with my butt pushed against the back of seat rise.

Back