First XS400

Well a little more eye candy..........rebuilt the forks today with new seals and some 15W oil. Wasn't to bad but the flippen drain screw were a mess not sure if a gorilla put them on last time or what......also found out a tire iron works great for pulling the seals out :D also took a little time with the grinder and a buffing wheel..........I was going to paint them black but figured with the gators and the black wheels it needs a little shine up front.......

IMG_3866.jpg

Looks great...do you consider clear to prevent Oxidizing?

Thanks! and not sure yet. They polished up pretty easy so may just leave them and see what happens. In my experience with boats I have never used clear on any SS or cast.

Well a little more eye candy..........rebuilt the forks today with new seals and some 15W oil. Wasn't to bad but the flippen drain screw were a mess not sure if a gorilla put them on last time or what......also found out a tire iron works great for pulling the seals out :D also took a little time with the grinder and a buffing wheel..........I was going to paint them black but figured with the gators and the black wheels it needs a little shine up front.......

View attachment 29863
Those look super! I would leave them like that. Not sure how the clear coat would stand up to "road stuff". If it was durable enough I would go that route.

Those tires are absolutely filthy. I saw Shinko but what model/sizing?

Thanks I think :) they were orders as Shinko 244 dual sport tires. 350/18 front and a 465/18 rear. Might be a little to aggressive byt hey its not going to be a total street bike when finished. I know a few logging roads I want to explore.....purchased on Amazon and right at 100 for the pair with free shipping.

Last edited:
Well the big brown van showed up today with goodies :geek: so I headed back to work and got a few things done........new seat from Tuffside so I was able to get the frame sort of finished. This bike was a drum brake rear so needed to mount a rear master for the discs and also cleaned off all the tabs and fixed a few crappy factory welds.......I now need to figure out a electrical tray or something but that will be the last thing I think. I figure I will just paint the frame that way I can touch it up really easy rather than powder coat it and touch up doesn't ever match on that. I have been using SEM Trim Black and love the way things are turning out. It matches the powder coat I always use but you can see where you touch it up though......the sheen never matches.....

anyway a few pics from today.

IMG_3880.JPG
finished product.......

IMG_3874.JPG
Brembo rear master.

IMG_3879.JPG
Seat fitment didn't turn out to bad.

IMG_3875.JPG
the extras.....................I actually used one to mount the master reservoir.

I really need to mock up the bike as I want a rear fender but until I can get the ride height set I don't want to mount anything.........I swear this was supposed to be a simple build :rolleyes:

So went back this morning as my OCD side didn't like some things.............took off one seat mount and added a few pieces of 1/2" tube to ride up on the seat.

Also painted the frame and picked up a 8 dollar Harbor Freight Dolly......................

IMG_3882.JPG
IMG_3883.JPG

Got a chance to do a little more work to it during the week. Hung the motor as I wanted it in the frame to pull the side covers so I could paint them and re seal. I did figure out I need to weld another set of mounts on the frame though.......the motor is a 78 and the frame a 81 and well over the years they changed things and I like the 78 mounting better.......also mounted the swing arm and rear tire now onto the brakes so I can figure out brake line lengths. Waiting for parts is the hard part.......the big brown van shows up with parts this coming week and the wait is killing me.

Motor was soda blasted as I was going to do the fins black and polish but that's just to much up keep for me and I like the fins the gray color so painting all the shiny stuff black. I will polish the timing cover though and also the points cover. Valve adjusting covers or whatever there called are polished already.

Shocks are a little rusty but hopefully they will clean up as I don't want to drop more cash on a new set.....

IMG_3891.jpg

What do you plan on doing with electronics/battery? Im trying to map this out on my bike now.

I am planning a tray under the seat. I mounted the motor so I can put the carbs on and see what room I have left to deal with. I will mock up a cardboard set up to see what I have to deal with. They make some small batteries now so should be ok.

Got a little more work done today but think I am going to have to re do the rear master............looks like I only have a few inches of clearance once the suspension is compressed..........I didn't take into effect travel........stupid me.......does anyone have an idea how much travel the rear has? I am 210 and using the factory shocks for now. I may go aftermarket but don't want to spend the cash.

Got a little more work done today but think I am going to have to re do the rear master............looks like I only have a few inches of clearance once the suspension is compressed..........I didn't take into effect travel........stupid me.......does anyone have an idea how much travel the rear has? I am 210 and using the factory shocks for now. I may go aftermarket but don't want to spend the cash.
I will let you know tomorrow on the travel.

A few more parts showed up......and I think I can just space the master off the bracket a little and the swing arm will clear it. Otherwise I need to cut off the bracket and I don't want to do that one.....

Also if anyone is looking and has done the timing cover mod what do you use? I am wanting to drill and tap the cover and put a plug in it so I don't need to pull it off.

IMG_3914.JPG
IMG_3915.JPG

I think a guy or a site in Germany makes those covers. I saw them for sale a few years ago.

I think a guy or a site in Germany makes those covers. I saw them for sale a few years ago.

Thanks will do a search. If nothing may just have to try one myself.....I have 3 covers so I can afford to mess one up.....

Got this tonight from my painter.........also mocked p a cardboard cut out for the battery box........the battery showed and well it sure is cute......

IMG_3916.JPG
20170719_1352371.jpg

Back