Gear mother f'r! Do you wear it?!

DanMach

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Spinning off from the '80mph tumble' thread, lets talk about gear!

Here is what I wear and quick thoughts on them:

Rev'it turbine jacket: I really like this for summer riding. Its cut is nice('body forming') and it breathes very nicely and evenly. It doesn't give me that parachute jacket feel which is huge. Also it has CE 2 armor, along with super fabric in elbow and shoulders. Superfabric is little ceramic dots welded onto a backing pad. Its suppose to be extremely abrasion resistant and I believe it.

Tourmaster venture air pants: Very typical tourmaster gear. A ton of mesh that is just so so with great inserts and overall decent fit. The mesh is kind of crappy honestly. The zippers get stuck on it, they over used velcro, etc etc.. but once its on its a nice pair of pants. I often ride around town without any inserts(it comes with rain/thermal barriers) na just shorts on under it. Very comfortable. The knee armor takes sometime to get use to but it does have 3 pocket settings to find a good fit.

Icon field armor boots: Ok.. these are weird. I really find them comfortable to walk in, they are built like mother eff'n tanks, they are great getting off and on due to side zippers and buckles, but god damn they suck to shift in. I've had them about 2 or 3 weeks now and while they've gained some flex during this time I still can't shift without lifting my foot off the peg. I've gotten use to it, and I'll be keeping them and using them with the shifter adjusted up a turn.. but ugh. I so wish the toe box was just an 1/8th inch shorter. :( As they come stock you cannot fit the boot under the shifter because the boot's sole is TOO rigid. It has a steel bar in it, so it makes sense.

Scorpion exo-700: Its so so. This is the snell 2005 model from 08 or 09. Its comfortable enough I guess, although I do find it a bit narrow(back to front of your head narrow). I've got about 20,000 miles on it or so. It doesn't leak, with the chin skirt its ok in the winter, and it doesn't fog... but its just not comfortable over all. Thats just for me though, if it fit you nicely? It'd be super comfy I'm sure. I however have a shoei rf-1100 arriving tomorrow.

Gloves: They are black leather gauntlet gloves that say 'rocket' on them. No idea who made them anymore lol. They have padded knuckles. I like them. :)

All that being said!

Wear your gear damnit! :)

I feel obligated to plug my jacket: a black and silver First Racing "Sharp Shooter" model. Weatherproof with vents, CE armor, stretch panels, liner, and zipper for rain pants. Velcro for adjusting the fit of the waist and cuffs, and zippers on the cuffs to allow more air flow through the arms. The only damage it suffered from the 80mph tumble was a single hole, some scuffing, and a number of broken/ripped threads. Still quite functional and probably could have taken even more damage. The only flaw I found could be a fairly common oversight: check how much movement the pads have, and if there is too much you might consider adding velcro or elastic to tighten it a bit.

I picked up a leather jacket from a thrift store and did some sewing at home. Added in some knee and elbow pads made for rollerskating along with foam padding, I rock an undershirt or thin T beneath. I wear jeans that are a size over so that I can stick a pair of knee pads in underneath. I also wear a kidney and tail-bone padding belt from football many years ago. Otherwise I ride with a full-faced helmet, biker gloves and boots that cover my ankles. I have yet to find decent back padding without paying massive premiums, but I may have to give in soon.
If it gets too hot, I unzip the jacket about 1/4 of the way and undo the wrist buttons.

Its well over 100deg here with a high humidity. If they would let me ride naked I would. I normally ride in shorts/t-shirt/shell toes.

1-piece perforated racing leathers, touring boots, gauntlet gloves, and a full face helmet.

I am upgrading my gear over time; next on my list is a back protector. After that I will start upgrading my existing pieces to higher quality ones.

Thong, and full face (so the cops can't identify me.)

No... I've slid through an intersection before, and my gear saved my butt (literally.)

But after 14 years of riding, I always go out in boots that cover the ankle (either my thick leather ones, or my Doc Martens with the road rash where they saved my ankle as I slide through the aforementioned intersection), gloves that cinch around the wrists, Joe Rocket leather jacket with double armour, full face helmet, and jeans (which are really no better than shorts, but who wears shorts and a leather jacket?)

I should probably wear better pants, but in the summer, it feels like you're riding into the world's largest hair dryer around here, and fatigue becomes a real issue when you get hot and dehydrated...

Perforated leather flows a good amount of air. Wearing hot weather under armor type layers makes a huge difference as well.

Yeah, I've been thinking of doing the perforated jacket and back protector duo, allowing some better riding pants. Too bad all this stuff is so darn expensive (and a lot of it is ugly...)

I wouldn't be caught dead without full gear, no matter what the weather. Had a car clip me at speed once, and if it weren't for gear i'd be dead, so yeah gear is a must.

I just got my shoei rf-1100 in.

Holy mother of comfortable. Not only is the helmet far more comfortable(although I did order the thicker cheek pads to be a touch more snug on the cheeks), far lighter, prettier, better venting, but WOW! The vision through the shield? A-frigen-mazing. Its just graet, no distortation at all. My scorpion always had a touch of distortation.

I like a tight fitting helmet myself; it won't move at all that way, even during high speed head checks.

I don't have all the gear I'd like, yet. I wear an HJC IS MAX helmet, which is really comfy. Other than that, jeans and boots (Durango, for now) and a perforated leather shirt. I know the shirt ain't much, but it's better than nothing an it breathes well in the heat. Oh, and fabric gloves from Wal-mart. They are cheapo, but made for motorcycling with knuckle guards and padded palms. Again, not the best, but better than nothing.

I want to get a nice jacket, whenever budget allows.

Keep an eye out on the major gear websites once the season ends. They have some crazy deals on stuff a few seasons old.

I bought my jacket in April for $109, so you can definitely get good deals on the closeouts. I think the real protection comes from the armor pads though, so even if you buy a cheapo jacket you can probably add armor to it on the cheap. I remember seeing CE armor sets on amazon for $25 back then.These are the CE ones from my jacket:
Jacket armor.jpg
They are basically a thick spongy rubber, so they absorb impact but can be easily shredded. You can see these are fine since the jacket protected them from shredding.

Well it depends on your goal...

Trying not to break bones? Armor!

Trying to avoid 50,000$ in skin grafts? Leather or textile for abrasion resistance.

As for the helmet.. I too love a snug fit, but my old scorpion caused headaches after an hour or so because it was TOO snug on my skull. Between my forehead and the helmet I couldn't even wear a bandana between it and the helmet. That snug.

The new shoei is mega mega mega comfortable though. :)

I love the NHS in the UK!

All we have to concentrate on is not going to hospital due to injuries and not because we can't pay!

Blue Jeans
sometimes a sweater
sometimes steel toe boots
helmet
sun glasses
and a Shemagh, to keep the bugs out of my face (keeps it warm/cool as well dont ask how that works, it just does =p)

Back