H4 Headlight Replacement

jthiessen

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am having trouble figuring out what lamp would work in my '79 SOHC. The reflective material is falling off of the inside of my lamp and I would like to upgrade to an H4.

I've read that our lamps are 165mm (6/5")? Is this true?
I'm also confused about what lamps will work with my stock light bucket so as to still have room for the wires.

Are there any lamps that you have used that met the above requirements?

Thanks in advance!

Can't comment on SOHC requirements other than to strongly suggest you get a lamp that is motorcycle specific. The beam pattern and the lamp mounting is different from automotive lamps.

For my DOHC Maxim, I bought a virtually new Bosch H4 7" lamp (OEM part, DOT compliant) that was removed from a Harley when it was customized at a local swap meet. $20, including the bulb and rubber boot. Installation was no different than replacing the stock sealed beam. I've since upgraded it with a 35W HID Bi-Zenon (low and high beam) conversion with 4300K bulb for even better lighting and reduced power consumption.

Last edited:
162mm, 6 3/8"

I used a "Candlepower" bucket that takes H4 bulbs. That took some customizing, but is working well. I don't know if the Candlepower unit is still available.

Back