Head and taillight work, turn signals dont

doubleextramayo

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bike is a 1979 xs400. Took the old lady on a ride the other day but didn't adjust my suspension and once I came home I realized I had no lights at all. Quickly found the culprit to be a couple of pinched wires leading to the fuses. Now I have power back to my tail and headlight, but can't seem to figure out the turn signals. I know I'm not providing much but has anyone had a similar issue? Also, can anyone explain to me the full circuit of the signals from beginning to end? Looking at the wiring diagram just gives me more of a headache...

Should also say: wiring is the exact same as it was before. Just redid what was already there to fix the damage. Fuses don't look broken. Is it possible that I may have put the wrong fuse in the wrong place?

Since I have a newer bike than yours, I will give it a shot. The battery is connected to the Fuse box. The fuse box is connected to the off/on/off - key switch. The Switch it connected to the handle bar switch. The handle bar switch is connected to the turn signal relay & Timer switch, which is tagged by the speedometer. The light will turn on if someone moves a switch. The original switch is a 6 part switch. Then the power flows to to the turn signals front and back. And then finally to the indicator light. which leads us to the ground.

So you bike should be close to that. Double check that by downloaded the free manuals from top of the first page of the gargae, where it says manuals, then search for free supplemental
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14495

Still stumped! Wiring seems to check out correctly. I have power to only work the back left signal. If I plug in the front, neither work. Am I missing something else?

I suppose you can work backwards, since you know where it does work. Is the filament ok? double check, perhaps the last PO had messed with the lights, and it hasn't been the same since.

Under the seat, you will find some brown wires, that are double connected. (one to two connectors.) If you have power for each of the wires from that point, perhaps a gap has formed, and keep the electrons from working. and work your way forward with that assumption in place.
Tobie (down load one of the manuals, will have more detailed specifics for the wires (free re-run))

Back