Howdy

Gerberous

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So I just got a 1981 xs400s heritage special off of craigslist for $200. Its pretty rough, but the thing is 8 years older than I am. My first project was putting a 150cc Gy6 into a Honda Ruckus...this one will hopefully go better...initiating build thread NOW

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! I've heard its a very labour intensive process to get the GY6 in. I want to get a Ruckus just for a massive engine swap. It looks like fun, if you ask me.
Either way, the forum is filled with essential information. If you ever hit a snag, this is the best place to look for answers (or vent, if that's what you need).
Enjoy :)

I highly recommend the Ruckus...by far the coolest scoot out there. You can also save money by turning a Met into a Ruck fyi. They have the same frame essentially. But zooming around on a modified ruckus sure turns heads. But it can be just as costly as maling a cafe or bobber if you arent careful. Check out totalruckus.com if you wana get inspiration...

I also want to throw out...if anybody knows of a group that rides in the DFW area, let me know. I saw a xs400 cafe in ft worth the other day, so im sure ther:Des a few more out there...

So ive started to drum up.parts I will need to turn my xs400 into a cafe racer. I really like the bobbers with ape hangers, but they seem like a lot more work than im willing to do. (ie a lot more opportunities to screw up).

Ive ordered some straight bars and right now im looking for seat options. The cafe seat pans seem crazy expensive. Does anybody have another option?

My best advice is to make one! There are a few posts around on making a fibreglass seatpan if that is of interest to you.

How difficult is making the fiberglass? I'm thinking that might be a little above my skill set...i might just stick with a lightweight metal

This is my first project (was a huge headache).

20120308_144410.jpg

As for the xs400, this is how she looked when I got her home. I paid $200 for it, so it seemed like a worth while gamble..
20120517_103842.jpg

I began taking stuff apart to clean and paint. I popped the crankcase off and it looked like a couple squirrels had been using it to store their food....acorns and grass fell out. Lots of mud and dirt to clean out.

I'm trying to take the chain off to clean up, but don't know how. Help?

20120613_151411.jpg

there's a clip on the side of the chain that you can spring off. Personally, I's grind the chain in half, its knackered

Thanks Drewpy, I sawed that sucker off and ordered a new one.

I painted the engine covers black...I think it looks a lot better. The idea is to have everything black except for mufflers, handlebars, speedo, wheels and gas cap.

Photo updates:

20120614_193424.jpg

20120615_124054.jpg

20120615_124036.jpg

Looks good so far. Are you looking to replace the missing turn signal with an OEM replacement or an aftermarket? Also, if it isn't above your comfort level, it might be cool to get some venting action in your front drum if you're going after the cafe look. Rear drum optional.
I agree in keeping your carb shiny and grey. I think it looks better and draws attention to your engine with all of that contrast.

park the bike over a large oil tub, kickstand down inside the tub.

Fill a spray bottle with some kerosene and shoot it onto what I call Sprocket Fudge. Its on the sprocket of every bike, even the Inside of the 08 Ducati I'm fixing. The fudge will dissolve and fall off into the tub. Heat speeds things up but the fudge is not water soluble.

I recall seeing an engine cleaned for resale with a power washer that had hot water and kerosene for the cleaning agent. Seemed to work very well.

park the bike over a large oil tub, kickstand down inside the tub.

Fill a spray bottle with some kerosene and shoot it onto what I call Sprocket Fudge. Its on the sprocket of every bike, even the Inside of the 08 Ducati I'm fixing. The fudge will dissolve and fall off into the tub. Heat speeds things up but the fudge is not water soluble.

I recall seeing an engine cleaned for resale with a power washer that had hot water and kerosene for the cleaning agent. Seemed to work very well.
so fill a spray bottle with kerosene, spray it onto the sprocket and light it on fire? Nice, i'll try that....haha kidding. Thanks for the tip!

Looks good so far. Are you looking to replace the missing turn signal with an OEM replacement or an aftermarket? Also, if it isn't above your comfort level, it might be cool to get some venting action in your front drum if you're going after the cafe look. Rear drum optional.
I agree in keeping your carb shiny and grey. I think it looks better and draws attention to your engine with all of that contrast.
I like the idea of the vents, but I'm not skilled enough to drill holes that will 1) not compromise the structural integrity of the plate and 2) allow for drainage since water will most likely get in there.

I'm going to make the front end simple. I'm just going to have a headlight and a speedo with no signals. I'm eventually going to redo the whole back end with a cafe seat that I have lying around. If it fits, I'm going to make a cutout for a R6 taillight with integrated signals that I originally had on my scoot

Last edited:
heat and flame are VERY different things Gerb!

I meant EITHER use heat gun.....cool off, then kerosene, or boiling water+kerosene and a watering can or something like that.

Anyway, you'll figure it out. Just park it over an oil catch pan. Trust me on that one!

Drewcifer

pulled some pieces off my scooter to see if I can use them on the bike. I'm gona try to use these taillights cuz I want to take the signals off and have a real simple look. Still trying to decide if they are too modern for such an old bike...

20120617_185309.jpg

Tried to Mig wire weld the remainder of my mirror bolt back to the mirror shaft. Learned a very valuable lesson about welding. It's hard. LOL

Hard to see really. Can you get us a better look? Any markings on the top? Looks like a relay, maybe your flasher relay?

Back