Howdy

I think the flasher relay looks more like a tiny soup can. That would likely be either your starter safety switch or kickstand safety switch. You would probably not know that either are broken unless you tried to activate it and noticed it didn't work at the right time.
Your starter safety switch only allows you to start in either neutral or with the clutch in. The kickstand switch will shut the bike off if it is put in gear and moved with the kickstand down.

Not a flasher relay - almost definitely one of your safety relays (the ones that won't let you start in gear, or with the kickstand down.)

On mine (1983) there's a rubber book mounted just under the seat. I believe older models place it similarly.

Not sure why it's looking a little melty...

We'll have to see. My electrical problems started with a failing relay for my flashers. Then I found out my stator needed rewiring, so if you have melted relays of any kind, I'd do a safety check on your charging system wiring to find the source of the backed up voltage that heated/melted that relay.

Drewcifer

I've been having problems with it starting consistently. The solenoid clicks rapidly sometimes when i hit the start button (and it's not a low battery thing). Could that be connected?

Also, I'm going to replace the headlight/gauges. What all is in the headlight case? I'm looking at a wiring diagram, but I don't want to just start pulling stuff off if I don't know what all it does....

There seems to be way more wires going into the headlight than one would expect..

I agree with there being too many wires in there to be healthy. Many people relocate the electrics and connected wiring to faux oil tanks. During the winter I will be relocating the wiring into a small fork bag (to reduce labour and the inevitability of things going wrong). If you wish, you can label all of your connections with some masking tape just so you don't forget. Don't cut anything until you're POSITIVE that it is the right thing to do.
A clicking solenoid can sometimes be remedied caveman-style by tapping the solenoid with a wrench or lightly with a hammer. If that doesn't work, you should remove the starter and solenoid and inspect the electric motor for worn brushes or gears.

20120627_204138.jpg

20120627_204121.jpg

Well I finally got all of that old busted up stuff off the front end. The headlight and gauges we pretty much spent.
Any suggestions on a new speedo and headlight that will work for the bracket I have?

Working on getting the seat bolted on.

Any info on how ppl get foam to attach to the seat? I have some memory foam I want to use, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to get it on there

20120628_203754.jpg

20120628_203831.jpg

still workin on a way to mount my taillights on the back end. And not to mention the wiring I have to match up:banghead:....bleh

But it's at least starting to look like i want:thumbsup::

20120630_201242.jpg

20120630_204516.jpg

so I was going through the wiring on my motorcycle step by step with a wiring diagram in hand I got off this site...
I found a missing condenser in addition to the fried flasher relay. Anybody know what the potential ramifications are of missing this? It looks like it's been missing for a while

As far as I know, your bike doesn't come with a condenser as they were only used on the points system. Yours is electronic ignition and uses a capacitor. The turn signal relay, however is important as you won't have working turn signals and will not pass your safety inspection without them.
You should be looking at the wiring diagram for an xs400SH. I think you were looking at a pre-1980s diagram.

Last edited:
As far as I know, your bike doesn't come with a condenser as they were only used on the points system. Yours is electronic ignition and uses a capacitor. The turn signal relay, however is important as you won't have working turn signals and will not pass your safety inspection without them.
You should be looking at the wiring diagram for an xs400SH. I think you were looking at a pre-1980s diagram.
Any link to where I can find that diagram? I can't find it on the wiring diagram thread

Also, I've got a female connector dangling. My best guess was that it was a condenser, since I've been having starting problems. Any other ideas what it could be? I'll post a picture after work (yes I'm doing this at work)

I am betting its the safety relay, based on the one sky blue wire. So the frame has 3 stub out prongs, for a lack of better explanation, on of them should a a rubber piece attached to it, since the frame seems to ground it out. should be to the front of the battery box, and just below the bottom of the battery box, on a left/right cross-beam under the Air plenum thingy (technical term)

I found a photo that is off my 81. I circled the spot:wink2:

The SH doesn't have a Kick stand relay, But its still good to look at,

Attachments

• SafetyRelaySpot.jpg
    SafetyRelaySpot.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 290
  • xs400 wiring diag 003.jpg
    xs400 wiring diag 003.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Howdy again. Haven't had much time to work on the bike till now, but I'm ALMOST done with wiring in everything.

I have a few questions, however, that hopefully you guys can help me out with:

I'm only planning on running a headlight, speedo and taillight. What would you guys recommend me do with the left over plugs? Do I need to do anything special with them? Or can I simply shop off the connectors to free up space.

Back