I just got an XS 360!

Don't put another minute or dime into the bike until you get a title:wink2: Without one it's just a pile of parts.

One could argue that even with a title it is still just a pile of parts:laugh:
Ok, what if I think of it as an education and do the carbs, engine work, try to get it running and if I never get a title I will have learned a bunch and will be less intimidated by engine work? Would your advice change?

Posted via Mobile

Valid point^

(My take, having madebsaid mistake before) But dont spend money on parts for something your not gonna going keep. Unless you also have a titled frame laying around .Your not going to pay for an oil change on your rental car right? That's money towards a bike with a title that you may be doing the same thing to anyway. It would be nice to own that piece of equipment after you just got it running.

Man, I tell ya it always boggles my mind how many people misplace titles. I still have titles from 10 years ago of vehicles that were stolen from me(I still hold on to them just in case they pop up lol).

And even if they are misplaced, it's not that hard to get a reprint from the state IF they were the legit owner.... But people are lazy these days I suppose.

Wolf-yep, still have the title for a DR that was stolen five years ago. The police call me every year to ask if it has turned up...thought they were the ones supposed to be looking:mad:
Read the manual some and the forum some and figured out what "lapping" is and that I can't see the cylinder walls without taking the top end off haha. Sorry for the dumb question.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 224
There is some carbon build up on cylinder heads and all the valves, but the color is different left to right and I'm not sure whether that is due to a difference in spark or the carbs were not synced?
Also, I can see a little cross hatching on the cylinder walls but not very distinctly. I was not able to get it to show in a picture. Is there a rule of thumb for glazing vs needing to hone?

Posted via Mobile

in Kansas, this bike qualifies as an antique. Get a notarized bill of sale from owner. The highway patrol will have to do an inspection. The bike need not be running but mostly complete. If the bike is not stolen or have any problems the KHP will issue papers to take to the county clerk to get a new title. All this info can be found at the courthouse, there is a pamplet printed by the Kansas government that explains what to do. Get a title before pissing away time and money on a project. Good Luck

I'd suggest you get the service manual and a set of bore micrometers and determine if the bore is in spec. If you can see cross hatching on the cylinder walls and virtually no vertical wear or glazing, you probably don't need to do much. Glazing is when that cross hatch becomes worn out of the cylinder wall and the bore gets super smooth (almost polished like). The cross hatch helps create a sort of seal as the rings move past them and that helps the compression.

My rule of thumb is to start troubleshooting with the least expensive potential solution and work your way up. Valve lap sounds like a good place to start, then see what kind of compression you have. If you are on a budget and the bore is in spec, but you have glazing, a light hone and new rings might work. If that doesn't fix things, look into rebuilding the top end...then you'll know it's fresh.

As for a title. I just jumped through the hoop with the whole "po didn't give me a title" ordeal. With a bill of sale, a surety bond, a signed affidavit that says "I swear I didn't steal this bike", and a vin and road equipment inspection, I now officially hold title and legal ownership of my xs. The worst part (for Michigan) is that I had to put enough money into the bike before I had the title to make it road worthy so it would pass inspection. It's not as much of a headache as some people will lead you to believe. I'm not sure about where you're at, but in Michigan, if the po is willing to go with you to the dmv/secretary of state, they can get an "instant" duplicate title made and sign it over to you right then and there, saving quite a bit of time and effort.

Was able to lap the valves last night. Did the gasoline leak test from the manual before I started. None of them were really bad, but they all leaked a little. After a little research decided not to hone the cylinders or mess with rings. There is no major damage and I can still see the cross hatching. It may not be as good as it possibly could be, but I just want a runner. They should have a website called "Dothe1/2Ton" for guys like me.
Contacted the brother of the PO, making progress on that angle.

Posted via Mobile

Thanks guys for the ideas on alternative methods of getting a title. Depends on how this goes I may have to use one of them.

Posted via Mobile

I got a chance to work on the bike a little last night then today was a rain day at work so I made a little progress. :)
Put the top end back together after lapping the valves. Then spent some time cleaning the engine this morning.

Posted via Mobile

The engine is not pristine, but it is a ton better. Ok, not a literal ton, but I should have weighed it before and after:laugh: (nothing you all haven't already seen)

Posted via Mobile

I had basically decided to not work on the XS because I don't have a title yet, but that proved to difficult. I had to tinker. Its like having an open container of ice cream in the freezer. Can't leave it alone. Pretty excited to see if I can get it running.
Waiting on the right wrench from work to adjust the valves, then set the points and on to carbs. If I can get it running then I will move on to the frame. I like these bikes stock except the seat is to big. I'm glad the the PO had already chopped the tail of he bike so I didn't have to make that decision. Now that "stock" is ruled out I feel better about making it mine. I want a rack on the back for my lunchbox and a way to carry my water jug for work. Anybody have ideas or pictures of bikes with those options?

Posted via Mobile

I used Auto Zones version of degreaser. They have three or four "strengths" and I used the top one I think. Brushed, scraped, air hose, more degreaser, etc. I finished by using dish soap and water in a spray bottle. Honestly, it looks better in the picture than in real life. I don't have any other products to compare this one to, so I can't strongly recommend it. I will say that it helped but did not take the work out of it. Thanks for asking. How is Scarlett? Did I get the name right? I read most of your thread, but that has been months and I need to check back to see your progress.

Posted via Mobile

Back