Igintion problem

So is it because of the relay why I don't have power to the estart,I tried swapping them around and it didn't make any difference.
What about making a switch to starting solenoid and wiring it to push button.It should start the bike this way right right?

So is it because of the relay why I don't have power to the estart,I tried swapping them around and it didn't make any difference.
What about making a switch to starting solenoid and wiring it to push button.It should start the bike this way right right?
Estart relay is different, did you download that huge supplemental file? It has the Estart wire diagram separate from the main diagram. Page 10.

Here it is.

My model bike doesnt' include a kickstand safety relay. That might be a DOHC convention. I haven't had to mess with the estart sub-system beyound unplugging the estart relay when my start button needed to be replaced.

Attachments

• part1.png
    part1.png
    169.3 KB · Views: 258
  • Part2.png
    Part2.png
    212.1 KB · Views: 285
  • Part3.jpg
    Part3.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
I didn't download the diagram no but is this that you posted?That thing is hard on my eyes:eek:
Anyways my estart button broke for good this time.The metal clip that holds the spring and button broke.So Im trying to improvise busing a push button switch I bought at the hardware store.I wired it up just like how the old switch was wired.Blue wire being hot and a ground.I still have the kill switch hooked up originaly.
Mean while Im waiting on parts and the two relays I got from ebay were duds.
Cant believe these people list a part for an xs400 but its for a virago or some crap.So now I opened a dispute ticket with ebay and hopefully I`ll get my $ back.

When my button broke, I bought one off of MikesXS. The Pics you should be able click on those pics and then most of the browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome) will let you zoom in, and print, or just print, and in the print settings, make the print out 150 to 200% bigger. Should make it easier for your eyes. if you mouse has a wheel on it, you can hold down the ctrl key, and roll the wheel. To get it back to normal, Ctrl+0 (Control key, with the zero key pressed down.) Good luck

DMW I ordered my diodes from Boats.net and I should be getting them by Monday hopefully.I`ll also have the right relays probably early to mid week next also.
then get the issue fixed start button.As I stated the metal retaining clip broke that holds the button for the estart.I don't know if this is an orderable part or not but the push button I got from the hardware store should.

never mind I was to get it.the button you get from Mikesxs is just the plastic button you don't get the metal retaining clip with it.So not I have to hunt one down or hope that the one I got from the hardware store works.

Definitely not how I expected it to be,I expected to be able hit the key have a hard time starting it but eventualy get it running and be riding.Then a vadal struck my bike and its been down hill ever since.One I get all the parts I need if that doesn't do it the bike is going to the shop.

I like your problem compared to my current problem. I am starting trying to finish putting my bike together, and now I can not find my Head. Reminds me of the Wizard of oz, If I only had a head ;) I am finding out my garage roof is leaky, so I have to do some preventive maintenance on surface rust, and now I have to hurry find the head, and get it lubricated, so it doesn't rust inside any more than it has. Now If only I had a head I am hoping I am just too tired to see it, so tomorrow, I will give it the whole garage once over, or start to take every thing out till I find it.

Back to your, It has been a year since I messed around with the starter button, so I will take your word for the retaining clip. Once I get my bike pulled out so I can the engine in, I will take a looks see. I have enhanced the supplemental wire diagram for you. Color coding was fixed by me. I notated the changes. Manufacture said the main red wire from the positive side of the starter is black. then they didn't put on the legend the L/W (blue wire with white stripe.) Squiggly line is my attempt at imitating the single line, using MS Paint for my editing software. ;)

s just the plastic button you don't get the metal retaining clip

So heres an update on whats going ,I got some new relays from njcafe who was very fast and promptly shipped my order.The parts came off an 81 so surely they are compatible.
Then I had ordered diodes 2 of them just to have a spare through boats.net whom for some reason has delayed my order by over a month.Im thinking of just cancelling the order and getting the part from somewhere else.
I looked at Mikesxs their shipping is just flat out luducris,cost way more than the price of the part.Seems to be a normal thing for this site.Sponsor or not I have a very negative viewpoint of mikesxs.Anyways enough of my rant I need some answers on where else I can find this diode for a reasonable price with decent shipping time.
Does anyone have any links to some other stores that sell this part?

So the next question, out of the hundreds they have, which one? Seems to be a grey ball shape, with one blue stripe? Is there a green stripe? We just need to read the color code, and then we can order it up. I still have a week to worry about taking my bike out. I have parts in shipping, I wont be able to do anything till next Tuesday if the parts get here sooner. (I get to run with Uncle Sam this long weekend (Air force Weekend, starting Thursday)) I tried to look it up, but the ebay photos were not the best for discerning the image, and then the differences between .5 amp to 1. amp ... I think the 12 volts was easy. :D

I tried radio shack my store doesn't have any that meet the requiremnts for voltages and amps.
Also the ceramic color coded diode is no longer used.This was stated earlier in my thread :wink2:
So the part is now solid state with only 2 places online that I have been able to find them.
Mikesxs and boats.net which is yanking me around.bastards!
XSChris pulled a reading from one on his harnesses was the in ohms,voltage,or resistance?

All a diode does is to let power travel one way. So you need one that can handle the volts (12) and amps(13) of the bike. So if you get a 15amp diode it will work. Just make sure that it is hooked up so power only flows in the correct direction.

My RS doesn't carry any 12 volt diodes So Im stuck ordering the right one and not sure which is the right direction:shrug:.I`ll check the diagram and see if it shows.Hey Chris why don't you let me borrow the one you have till july and I replace when my order comes in July:D:laugh:

Back