Im guessing one shouldnt be cheap when buying a helmet?

Willem is right, the circumference of ones heads can match the helmet size but if you have a round head and order an oval helmet its not going to fit, or vice versa.

I watched a ton of reviews of mine and tried to find out which brands/models where oval shaped (to match my head), and even then after ordering its not a perfect fit.. its comfortable and fits well.. but i could still improve on it if asked lol

Ordering online just by size alone is a shot in the dark. If you do your research prior you should be okay, but just picking something cheap with the features you like you MAY run into troubles.

the better the fit (shape wise) the better your head will be protected as well... The only way to order helmets safely online is if you've actually had the helmet on prior to your order. So you need to be a cheapskate and try on a bunch in a store, not buy any but order one of them online.
Or you suck it up and pay the shop owner that extra 5 bucks you would have saved on an online purchase :)

The only way an online helmet purchase is justified in my opinion, is if you're buying a new helmet of the same model you already had. Or if your friend's helmet happens to fit you perfectly and you buy the exact same model.

yea im not really finding any of these stores with a decent selection anywhere close to me. a few by New York City and Philadelphia, both are about 1.5 hour drive from me.

If they have a return policy thats fine as long as you return it if its not the correct shape.

I am in a small town and we 1 store that sells ATVs and Dirt bikes and a HD dealership, the first only carries dirtbike gear and a couple open faced cheapy-no-name brand helmets, and the HD store carries only the half chopper style helmets and really expensive HD brand stuff...

I wasn't about to drive 1.5 hours to the next nearest store in hopes they sell name brand stuff that fits and is in my range.. I took the chance, bought one, messed up the first time and had to return it and pay the 7$ fee for returns but now I am happy with my helmet. It looks great, fits well, is DOT and ECE certified.

If you are going to use the return policy go order online all you like as long as you actually return it lol

I would have used Revzilla which has a free returns on anything over 30$ or 99$ or something (either way it would apply to a helmet) but its free only in the USA.. :(

I bought better grade, not cheap, helmets for years. Made sure they were Snell certified, and had reasonably good luck with them. Years ago, it would most likely be a Bell. About 10 years ago, when I bought a new bike, I was talked into an Arai. They threw it in the deal so I got it for more or less $300.00.
The fit was the first time I ever had a helmet that truly fit. I really was amazed what a difference it made. A few years ago, it was time for a new lid. I bought another Arai, and when my wife tried it on, she was amazed( as I was by the first Arai) and even remarked that the shield was so good it was almost optical quality. It really is. Now she has one as well. The cheek pads pull out from the bottom, so if the EMTs need to get it off of me, they pull the pads, not cut off the helmet. The really big plus is the fit, there are size specific shells for all Arai helmets. Not trying to come across as a rich snob, I think they are pricey too, however they have proven to me they are worth it. My head may not be much, but it is all I have.

I wear full gear and have nice grade stuff that gets replaced every so often as it gets frayed and worn. I just replaced my colder weather road bike jacket of 14 years with a new Tour Master. The only exception is a replacement for my 1978 vintage HiPoint/AlpineStars Enduro boots, which I believe will outlast me. The helmets get replaced periodically, as internal invisible damage/deterioration often happens. Never store the helmet near any fuel or solvent fumes, the liner goes away very slowly. Mine reside in the closet by the door with the rest of the gear, both on and off road.

The only thing worse than paying too much for quality riding gear is paying little for stuff that doesn't do the job. You generally find that out when it fails in the middle of not doing that job. Don't skip on protection. it is false economy.

i went with a store like revzilla that has free return shipping.

i WILL be returning anything that does not fit or feel right. Like most people, i only have one head, well two, but i rarely use them both at the same time....:bed:

i can not afford a $400+ helmet but found a $300 DOT ECE one with everything i was looking for (pinlock, modular, internal shades,) on sale for just over $200 and free shipping. i plan on saving money for pants with removable knee and hip pads, and an under armor style undershirt with build in chest/back/shoulder/elbow protection

the removable chin pads seem like a good idea as long as they seem clearly removable or the EMT is very knowledgeable on modern helmet technology, which they very well maybe.

don't worry you can always sue the EMT if they cut your helmet off instead of taking the pads out properly. lol I am sure some1s tried to sue.

From the last time I did a bit of research, granted it was a few years ago, The DOT spec was that they put a Styrofoam head in a helmet and set it up right and dropped a 12 lb bowling ball straight down on the top of the helmet. If it didn't hurt the Styrofoam head it passed.
To get the DOT stockers for the helmet you are selling the DOT asked if would pass this test, If you said yes you got all the stickers you wanted. They didn't test them just asked if you did. If they test them then they can be blamed for any injuries. This pushing the blame on others is an old government practice.
They may do better now but I doubt it.
As far as price point any thing is too much. I buy them cheap. The only reason I have one is the state says I have too. A cheap helmet is cheaper than the tickets and hassle you get not wearing one.
Do as you want It your head, I believe we have the right to choose. I just live in a state that has taken too many of our rights away.
Leo

No. I ride in leather. Coat and chaps.
If I rode in shorts and a tee shirt I'd have to buy flip flops and a full face helmet and a crotch rocket.
As far as a helmet saving my head It has on several occasions. I have been down several times mostly because of other drivers on the road.
When I was young and stupid I had a bike that was way to fast, a 74 Kawasaki H-1 500. It threw me twice at speeds in excess of 130 mph. Like I said I was young and stupid. A bit lucky too.
I still don't like a helmet. Can't hear, catch the air and limit being able to see. Along with heavy and butt ugly.
Leo

tossed at 130mph makes me glad my xs will probably never see the ton.

ive gone 125 in my civic once for maybe 5 miles, that got most of the recklessness out of me. the rest of it is saved for pulling the ebrake in the snow and driving a motorcycle at night.

They may do better now but I doubt it.

They don't. Which is why helmets with ECE 22.05 or SNELL certifications are so much better. Assuming you are willing to pay for better protection. If you aren't, you should at least sign your organ donor card and carry it as well as a DNR waiver so others can have a chance to live a longer or better life.

I don't believe in organ donation. If God designed us to have interchangeable parts we would have zippers.
Leo

Let me see, the guy didn't wear a helmet, has no medical insurance and I pay for his stupidity when he prangs into me.......Because he lives in a state where they don't have enough collective brains to understand the validity of helmet usage:yikes: and he isn't even a organ donor. I get it, live free and be a vegetable donor:wink2:......Snell helmets can be found at a low price, but then vegetables will be vegetables...Spad

Kindest said:
don't worry you can always sue the EMT if they cut your helmet off instead of taking the pads out properly. lol I am sure some1s tried to sue.

Guys, i have never been in a accident on my bike, but i am pretty sure if the EMTs decide to cut my helmet off me I doubt its a helmet i would want to re-use anyway.

This has made think about printing up a small sticker to put along the bottom of helmet that says "Cheek pads have one snap and pull out through the bottom to remove" or something so they at least know its an option :S

spad, what makes you think he's uninsured. The facts show that a car driver is more apt to be ininsured than a motorcycle rider.
sesty, it may be a thing but so is killing people. That don't make it right.
Another fact, in states with mandatory helmet laws have more motorcycle fatalities than states with out mandatory helmets laws. So if wearing helmets saves lives, why do more people die where helmets are mandatory?
Leo

he didnt give us zippers, but he sure made organs transferable depending on blood types.
Its ur body do what you want
i wouldnt consider reusing a healthy kidney to saves someones life as being wrong or in the same category as killing someone. They can take what they need from me.

Helmet has arrived, glad i went with the Medium, it fits great. and is not to heavy or bulky. its a tad tight on my cheeks after about an hour but the pads havnt broken in. Came with a Pinlock, which i was not expecting, good surprise.

Thanks for all your input!

XSLeo, if he hasn't got enough brains for a helmet, what makes you think he has insurance too...Just an example, and what happens when the insurance money runs out, and it will....People die because they have a fatal accident, helmet or not, if you prang that bad, doesn't what kind of armor you have, but in a lessor case with a helmet you stand a better chance of survival:thumbsup:...So be it..Spad

Back