LED Flasher Replay

hjennings

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I'm using LED blinkers on my XS build. I'm wanting to replace my stock flasher relay with an LED flasher relay.

Anyone by chance know which relay to use? My stock relay is a 3-pin relay labeled C, L,.and B. I was looking up LED flasher replays at superbrightleds.com. I shot them an email and the response I got back was they *think* the 2-pin CF12ANL-01 would work, but said to check forums. I would have assumed I needed a 3-pin replacement.

I've attached a picture of my stock relay. Here is the link to the relay they think may work. What say you?

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...f12anl-01-led-bulb-electronic-flasher/781/835

Attachments

• Relay.jpg
    Relay.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 300
yup takes 2 seconds but you lose the auto cancel and audible clicking noise.... worth it

BTW i think the relay on my 78 was a silver cylinder....

I'm not sure just when they switched but the later bikes used a black square flasher.
The LF1-S-flat is the one you need. The wires can be taken out of the plastic. Use a paper clip the reach down in and release the clip.
Then just plug the flat blades into the stock flasher socket.
The red wire plugs into the brown wire, the black into the brown/white wire. Unless it comes with a grey and black wire, then the grey goes to brown and black to brown/white.
They work very well. It's the one I use.
Only thing is that you don't want it vey close to a high output ignition coil. It will flash funny, the high out put coil has a very strong magnetic field, this disrupts the flasher. I just moved it back away from the coil. I add a bit of wire and hooked it on the front of the battery box.
Leo

Depends on where you are putting it I suppose. The non-flat one linked is in a standard size automotive relay case, so you can base it off of that. In my application, I only have about a half inch of clearance between my electronics pan and my seat so I had no choice but to use the flat.

The difference between flat and pin is how the wires hook up. Flat has flat blades inside the plastic housing. The pin is to round pins inside he plastic. It has nothing to do with the size or shape of the flasher itself.
If you get the one with pins, either cut the pins off and put flat blades on or build adapters, flats on one end of a wire, barrel sockets on the other.
Leo

The difference between flat and pin is how the wires hook up. Flat has flat blades inside the plastic housing. The pin is to round pins inside he plastic. It has nothing to do with the size or shape of the flasher itself.
If you get the one with pins, either cut the pins off and put flat blades on or build adapters, flats on one end of a wire, barrel sockets on the other.
Leo
Well I have both, and the flat is half the size in height. So take that for what its worth. I won't disagree with the pin/flat name designation regarding the connector, but they for sure are way smaller.
Oh and the 'lf1-s-pin' I have here has flat blade connectors, not pins, so maybe I do disagree slightly :)

Back