Motor oil and oil filter discussed.

Noodles

Noodles racing
Reaction score
Hey guys, I searched the threads on here and did find some answers, but I would like to have a specific thread (this one) that gives the info needed to do a correct oil change. Another words, what type of oil to use- and also what oil filter. For a guy like me who would like to be able to go to a Napa or autozone and get what he needs. I saw an oil filter in autozone that looks very much like the one online but I'm not sure till I take out the one in the bike and look at it. Anyway, I wanted to make this thread more than just a question, and more an informative discussion.
So, what oil is best for these bikes (who makes it, availability etc.)-and what oil filter (part#, manufacturers, availability etc.) I'm sure it's been asked a million times on here, but it would be nice to have it in one place for the newbies. And if I can pick it up at an auto parts store instead of combing for it online, that would save a bunch of time and trouble...so take it away y'all. I hope to get some of the guys that know what they are doing to throw a little knowledge at us! Thanks, the noodleman

I use valvoline 20w-50 for wet clutches. I get it at walmart for 3.97 a quart. I also use a bit of the Lucas oil stabilizer. As for filters I get them on line off ebay. Where I have five of the same bike I buy in bulk. It's also cheaper, around $4 each. K&N 144 or HIFLO 144. Don't forget to drain the sump and check the screen. DSC03212.JPG DSC03213.JPG

Last edited:
Ecellent. Good post. So filter is a 144.
20170422_142407.jpg

This was the filter I saw at autozone but I don't think it is the right one. (Fram CH6015)
20170422_142530.jpg

This was what they got for oil, I was thinking on going for the Castrol over the valvoline...now between the 20W-50 and the 10W-40, ya think the 20W-50 is the way to go? Never gonna ride the bike in weather colder than 50deg. So...
And as far as additives go, lucasoil stabilizer won't mess anything up? What about stuff like marvel mystery oil or other additives like zinc treat and stuff? Pro's - con's? Anyone up to discussion? ? :umm::shrug:

20w-50 is what these use and as long as the oil is for wet clutch it will be fine. I have used Lucas for 18yrs in my xs with no issues. Just use 10% of it with the total that the bike holds. I use 200ml with each full oil change. That's the only thing I put in my oil.

So oil filter= K&N or HIFLOW #144
-OR-
FRAM#CH6003
Motor oil= 20w-50 JASO, wet clutch, motorcycle, diesel engine, etc.
Thanks, I will look around 2morrow and see if I can find em local. Oil should not be a problem, filter might be! :poke:

XsChris says to drain the sump and check the screen... where is the sump on these bikes, how do I get to it?

It's on the very bottom of the engine, facing the ground. Six Hex bolts.
Make sure you have an oil pan under it.
Put the screen back in the same orientation that it came out.

Maybe grab the Haynes manual. There's a thread at the top of the Garage.

I know you guys got all the manuals at the top of the forum, but unfortunately all I have is a smart phone and no access to a computer or printer handy or I would have already reviewed them very well..just kinda tough on a 2"×4" screen!!:laugh2:

I think the oil filters I bought were made by EMGO..

Also, dont forget that the screw on the oil filter housing has an O-ring that will wear out over time and the bolt should be torqued down.. Dont over tighten this bolt.

So i went to oriley auto and ordered the fram oil filters and went to pick em up today and the guy came out with 2 BIG boxes- WIX #24934..I thought they were the wrong ones at first! But I am glad they gave me those, cuz they come with the o-rings too so..
K&N-144
Hiflow-144
FRAM-CH6003
WIX-24934
Just figured I'd add it to the list!

Back