MY BIKE!!

So am I right you have to drill out that plug on the ignition cover to get to the screw behind it in order to remove the cover?

Yes, there is a brass plug covering the screw behind it. This is for the ignition pickup cover.

20170425_180044.jpg

OK so..looking over the shop manual it shows no oil seal on the drum brake side just like my hub in the pic...
THEN on the drive side there IS an oil seal before the bearing?? Am I missing something here?? And I believe something is not right on the drive side (should have taken a pic!)
Because there is a bunch of space between the seal and bearing (drive side), I stuck my finger down in to turn the bearing and can see EXPOSED BALLS! As if the bearing has no side plate on it(but bearing turns just fine)...it seems awful weird to me that even in the manual there is only a seal on one side?? Maybe I'm just bugging out, but I will look it over real good tomorrow and post pics. Also, does this thing have "cush" drive? If so, those so called "bushes" must be shot by now! (36yrs old!) Has anyone dealt with that or should I just leave it alone?
Don't know why yamaha has to make something like bolting a sprocket on more complicated than it has to be!!(frickin"cush drive"!)

Hey guys, I am buying new rubber for the bike and am looking at the *shinko 230 tour master* gonna go for a 130/90×16 rear and 100/90×18 up front. These tires seem to get good reviews from people and I feel I won't have any problems with clearance. But what do y'all think?

20170427_182113.jpg
20170427_181305.jpg

Got the rear mag all shined up and ready for new rubber, gotta do the same for the front. Really came out good, looks brand new! Pics don't do it justice. Wish I had some before shots...

Just ordered my tires, I went with 712's instead of the 230's (shinko) cuz they were a little cheaper! $114.98 from J&P cycle. Should come in at the end of next week.. (free shipping)

Just ordered my brake shoes and pads, gas cap, and chain from mikesXS..I'm sure I could have got out of it cheaper if I roamed around amazon and ebay, but I figured just get it all from mikes, save my time. What would I save anyway, maybe $30 all together! Eh...oh, I got a 102 link chain, that's stock length on this bike ain't it? Gonna head over to the shop today and start cleaning and fiddling with the bike soon. I can't do a whole lot more until I get paid again...RENT is kinda getting in the way!:D

20170429_171841.jpg
20170429_182029.jpg

It offical, my bike is now a basket case! I pulled it apart and found out just how much of a rust bucket this thing really is...I have a crap load of questions but I don't know anyone who can answer them..getting a little worried about it. But I knew what I was getting into when I started it so whatever.

I dont see a manual around!!! lol kidding.

I called the two known motorcycle shops on my area looking for a chain..

One place said the chain was $80. The other place said the chain was $25.

I went for the $25, I think it was just an old chain that no one ever bought and it was priced via 1995 wages.. It was a Parts Unlimited chain.

Also, MikesXS has most of what you need, but there are a bunch of other sources that will have the same part for less. You may have saved $30 now, but after a few more orders, it turns out to be a lot more.

It helps to shop around, and dont forget about your local bike shops if its a general part. Theres parts on our bikes that continued being used on a bunch of other bikes so they might have the part stocked.

Last edited:
That is true! I have the pdf's of all the manuals on this forum in my phone though. Should have looked at them before I took the front brake switch out the wrong way and had contacts, spring, and little sleeves fly all over the basement though! OOPS!:laugh2::lmao::laughing:
It's ok, I found all the tiny little electrical pieces and know how to put it back together when the time comes, if I don't just buy an eBay cheapo master cylinder anyway!
Yeah, I'm a hack...but so far so good, kinda!:thumbsup:noodleman

I did just buy a new MC from MikesXS. I picked up the "76 type single MC". I didnt realize that the brake switch is actually located on the banjo bolt instead of the normal switch that clips in to the hole.. So I need to order the banjo bolt that has a pressure switch.. I dont like the MCs with big plastic reservoirs or the other small metal ones.. The one I have is one solid piece and it looks better IMO

20170429_224726.jpg

My coffee table in the living room...yes I'm single!:laugh: does anybody know if you can get those stupid reflectors and end bells off these shocks?? I just think they are ugly as sin! Would rather just run a raw shock!:confused:

I used two ratchet straps woven through the springs to compress the suspension springs.
Once the pressure is off the cup you can lower it to reveal a nut on the shaft.
Loosen the nut then unscrew the top off the shaft.
The cup and reflector will come right off.

My end result attached.
Some people have cut the cup smaller:
http://www.xs400.com/threads/yamaha-xs360-build.15774/page-2#post-162660

Attachments

• 20170103_171748_resized.jpg
    20170103_171748_resized.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 171
I used two ratchet straps woven through the springs to compress the suspension springs.
Once the pressure is off the cup you can lower it to reveal a nut on the shaft.
Loosen the nut then unscrew the top off the shaft.
The cup and reflector will come right off.

THAT'S BALLS ON!! THANKS MAN, GLAD YOU GAVE ME THE HINT. THAT'S WHAT I FIGURED. I'M JUST GLAD SOMEONE ELSE WAS WILLING TO GIVE ME SOME INPUT. THANKS!

I DONE GOOD TODAY! Finally got those butt ugly soda cans off the rear shocks, tore apart my front brake completely, and got the front mag all clean and shiny ready for new rubber. I have got a long way to go, but I feel I made some good progress today. I will be cleaning various parts tonight in my kitchen sink after a get all those eating dishes and things outta there!:p GOTTA LOVE THE SINGLE LIFE, SMALL BLOCK SITTING ON THE KITCHEN TABLE AND A CAN OF WD-40 IN THE FRIDGE NEXT TO THE MUSTARD!:laugh::wtf:
20170430_152402.jpg
20170430_152409.jpg
20170430_174331.jpg
20170430_173054.jpg
20170430_174317.jpg

:guns::rock::guns::rock::guns::rock:

Word to the unwise, not sure if anyone has ever used metal rescue or evaporust to deal rust parts before but it works great on rust won't hurt chrome...BUT IT WILL TAKE OTHER COATINGS OFF#!! I THREW A BUNCH OF HDW IN THERE TO SOAK AND NOW ALL THE BREAK PARTS PINS ARE DOWN TO BEAR METAL!! They had that gold coating on em before... SUCKS So be careful what you throw in that stuff!!
20170501_231917.jpg
20170501_231907.jpg
20170501_231924.jpg

NOT ENTIRELY TRUE!!

I would worry about flash rust on those coated parts now. This is why I soda blast all my stuff. It removes just the dirt and oxidation and nothing else.

So another crappy rainy day..this is going to be my bitch rant post. First, I could find NO ONE who would touch my rims and tires not one place around that does it. So I had to go at them with screwdrivers and dish soap! I did manage to get the front one changed, but the back one someone had decided to put a tube in it, so now before I can get the back one together I need a valve stem. And it seems to me that no one in maine has one! All I get is "oh,we will have to order that! It's really getting old. And I painted my Batt. Box but not the way I wanted. Just don't have the time to do a good job. So I guess a drippy coat of primer will have to do! It just sucks. Seems my to do list keeps growing, my time keeps shrinking, and parts are harder and harder to come by. I just hope that I get past this slump I'm in and things start to look up. Well, I am going to try to get something done today as the weekend is the only real time I have to do anything. Wish me luck.

20170506_200248.jpg
20170506_200301.jpg

Got the wheels back on the bike kinda, threw the batt. Box back in with all the 16th century electrical components with the home appliance connectors on them! The chain I got was probably packed in 1842 so so oil it was packed in has completely turned to bubblegum, so that's soaking in home heating oil I took out of my tank to try and loosen it up! Found a valve stem in the state of maine though, 40min. Drive in both directions for a $3 part....but hey, at least it's still pouring rain outside! Like my buddy keeps saying to me... "I thought you liked doing this stuff!?!?" Yeah, I thought I did too....

Back