My XS400s 4g5

Lillis

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi.
Just introducing myself at this forum.
Bought myself a cheap bike to get from and to work and maybe some weekend crusing.
Then I needed to find some info about the bike, googled it and found this forum :)
Now I check it everyday and get more and more inspired to make my bike a bobber,custom bike. Really dont have time, place or money to do so but a seed has been planted...
I have attached a picture from the day I bought my bike and two pictures from today.
So far I have replaced the handlebar with a MX style handlebar, removed sissybar and saddlebags. Ordered smaller blinkers and new tank emblems. Changed fork seals and oil in fork. Changed motoroil.
I got the bike at 4th May but due to bad weather here in Sweden I have only ride it about 70 metric miles so far :(

Attachments

• xs400.jpg
    xs400.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 288
  • xs4001.jpg
    xs4001.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 298
  • xs4002.jpg
    xs4002.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 305
Took my bike for 113km ride today :bike:
What octane do you use in your bikes? I use 99 octane fuel to keep ethanol level as low as possible and I think the bike becomes more responsive when I use that fuel. Here in Sweden the lowest octane available is 95 but it has an ethanol level of 5-10%.
Ended my trip at a motorcycleshop and bought myself a new helmet.
I also mounted the tank emblems.
They are really ment for an RX100 so they where about 1cm to short.
The gold color was very fragile so I applied two layers of clearcoat, but it made the gold ripple as it dried.

Attachments

• xs4003.jpg
    xs4003.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 273
  • helmets.jpg
    helmets.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 287
What octane do you use in your bikes? I use 99 octane fuel to keep ethanol level as low as possible and I think the bike becomes more responsive when I use that fuel. Here in Sweden the lowest octane available is 95 but it has an ethanol level of 5-10%.

I just use regular unleaded pump gas. Normally it is around 87 octane in Canada. On occasion I will put in premium but it does not seem to make any appreciable difference.

I would love to be able to readily obtain 95 octane for my other toy. Here is the octane that is generally available at the pumps in Canada. It is from one of the largest gasoline distributors in the country so is a sampling of what most people can easily get;
Regular 87 octane RegularClean
Mid-grade 89 octane PlusClean
Premium 91 octane SuperClean
Super premium 94 octane SuperClean 94 (Montreal only)
Super premium 94 octane Ultra 94

As for Ethanol, as a rule all grades in Canada have at least 5% and many have 10%.

99 Octane in Europe is equivalent to about 94 Octane here in North American, if I'm not mistaken. I believe they use a different rating system over there.

Back