Almost_Infamous

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So my 400S needs a new front disk master cylinder, the factory one is just completely buggered. I am considering going aftermarket and I found a lever and cylinder set on amazon that will fit the handle bars, but in the description is says:

For 125, 200, 250, 300cc

SO does the master cylinder have a direct effect on stopping power an that's why it's only "rated" for 300cc max? The reservoir looks almost identical in size to the stock one, so I'm trying to figure out why (or how) they came to this conclusion that it's only applicable up to 300cc.

The link for the set is >> HERE << if anyone wants to have a look.

Thank you in advance!

Ignore the generic Chinese descriptions on those Chinese parts. Engine size has nothing to do with anything.

You need to match master cylinder piston size to caliper piston size. Find out what size the master is from the seller. If they don't know don't buy it.

For what it's worth, the 'Neverland' seller ripped me off before, right around $120. I wouldn't buy anything from them. There are about 100 sellers that distribute that same set for a few bucks less. I'd go with them.

Ignore the generic Chinese descriptions on those Chinese parts. Engine size has nothing to do with anything.

You need to match master cylinder piston size to caliper piston size. Find out what size the master is from the seller. If they don't know don't buy it.

For what it's worth, the 'Neverland' seller ripped me off before, right around $120. I wouldn't buy anything from them. There are about 100 sellers that distribute that same set for a few bucks less. I'd go with them.

Right on Wolf, thanks a mill :thumbsup:

It's been a while since I've had a stock brake setup so I don't remember the master size, but it might be in the manual, or someone else can chime in. Most of those cheap ones will work fine, I've been using a set of cheapies for a while and have no issues.

Stock would be 14mm for SOHC at least.
This is an interesting page that I've seen posted before: http://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm

For the '82 SOHC I think stock works out to a 9.3:1 ratio, a bit below his suggested range for for single piston calipers.
A different sized aftermarket master cylinder MIGHT actually be better than stock, based on his information.
He does say that wheel size also factors into it but doesn't go on to say how that relates to his formula.

Something to think about anyways.

Stock would be 14mm for SOHC at least.
This is an interesting page that I've seen posted before: http://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm

For the '82 SOHC I think stock works out to a 9.3:1 ratio, a bit below his suggested range for for single piston calipers.
A different sized aftermarket master cylinder MIGHT actually be better than stock, based on his information.
He does say that wheel size also factors into it but doesn't go on to say how that relates to his formula.

Something to think about anyways.

Right on, thanks BB! I'm going to bookmark this

I bought one of the cheap ones made in China a couple of years ago. Frankly, I didn't even think about the bore size. Just blind luck I guess because it worked fine. When I changed to dual disc I wondered if it would be a problem but it works well and will stop on a dime!

I bought one of the cheap ones made in China a couple of years ago. Frankly, I didn't even think about the bore size. Just blind luck I guess because it worked fine. When I changed to dual disc I wondered if it would be a problem but it works well and will stop on a dime!

This is what I like :cool:

Thanks for all the help lads, ordered the set this mornin':bike:

Back