new old guy in western NC

thom

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just discovered this site tonight. I've been wanting to build a bobber style chopper for some time now. I finally found what I think will work for me. It is a 82 model 400 Special. The bike runs , has less than 5000 miles on it and came with a clear title! I'm sure I'll be spending some time on here and in the garage for a while. I'm looking forward to reading everything on here and will post some pics of my find in the next day or two. In the meantime , Happy motoring to you & yourn.:thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum Thom :thumbsup: If you need some help with the hardtail PM Travis the site admin/owner/cook/bottle washer as he has some hardtail kits for sale.

As NK on the Brat says sketch out your plans for the build and post up some pictures for us to get excited over (damn...getting excited over other peoples bike builds...I need to get out more...).

Actually I went and got my bike this evening. With title in hand I realize that it is a 1980 model , not an 82. Oh well, the owner insists that the 4600 miles showing on the odometer is correct.I will take some pics tomorrow in daylight.

We had severe storms last night so I burned up all my daylight this evening cleaning debris out of my yard and driveway.A neighbor and I had to cut up some large pine trees that fell across "our" street to get out and go to work this morning. Dang , I wanted to be messing with my new toy. Tomorrow evening I should be able to tinker with it and take some "before" pics.Once I get started on it I will be a frequent flier on here with questions.:)

Let's see if I can post a "before" pic or two of my bobber in it's pre-bobbed state...
002-4.jpg
004-6.jpg
006-1.jpg

Ain't it a beaut? I'm anxious to get started on it.I plan on taking plenty of pics as I go. I've learned a lot from this site and others in the last few months.I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions when I get started.:thumbsup:

I actually quit looking at other people's projects long enough to make some progress on mine this afternoon.
008-2.jpg

I think it's looking better already.
012.jpg

010-1.jpg

All I removed today unbolted. Nothing in the parts pile in the last pic is going back on.:thumbsup:
In an earlier post I said that I thought my bobber would look better if the front and rear tire & wheel were the same size. After looking at the bike with the fenders & junk off , I believe the rear rim needs to be changed to match the front.What do you guys , & gals, think? Thanks

Back