new to the site and xs bikes

mikegeeee

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi my name is Mike and I recently scored my 1981 400 xs H special ll... i really got lucky it runs and rides great and came with cool sidebags.. i need to redo both front and rear drum breaks and get new rear rubber... I plan on keepin it pretty stock aside from some pipes! Any helpfull hints for the break job? I got the pads and plan on tearin it apart after a ride this wekend. This site is a great resorce and i am soo glad to have found it. Thanks MIKEG

Hello Mike and welcome to our forum. A tip on cleaning drum brakes is take the time to pull out the pivot arm so you can clean the corrosion and lightly lube the shaft.

welcome Mikeee,

I suggest reading a workshop manual first, you can download one on this site :thumbsup:

Yeah thanks i have read the manual i have a copy ! and i have also checked out the one on the site i relly like the parts manual good info!!

... i need to redo both front and rear drum breaks and get new rear rubber... MIKEG
Welcome to the Forum Mike.
Depending on mileage, you might be dealing with 32 year old drum brake linings. That likely means 32 year old asbestos dust when you take it apart. You may want to wear a good mask AND mist the area down with a spray bottle before you do any jostling. That will contain the dust and let you get rid of ALL of it in the garbage. You don't need it on the shop floor afterwards - or sucked into your household vacuum either.

Back