One step forward, two back....GRRRRR

Jso123

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I really shouldn't be allowed to play with tools. When the two guages on my Maxim seemed loose, I thought I could just tighten the 2 nuts and screws that holds them on. I didn't realize the screws were only partially threaded. That's why they wouldn't tighten quite enough. So clever me just got a piece of pipe to get more wrench leverage on that stubborn nut. Naturally, I snapped off the nut with a piece of screw. The remaining screw head seems to be welded onto the bracket.

Before I go and brake the bracket, any suggestions on separating that remaining piece of screw?

Attachments

• maxim.JPG
    maxim.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 123
Bummer. Try buzzing it off flat with a dremel, drill a hole in the middle, and thread a new bolt/nut through? I'm pretty sure they are welded on.

I agree. Based on what I am seeing the bolt is "contact welded" to the bracket which just means they passed a current through the bolt to the bracket which fuses them together. All that to say that if you grind the head of the bolt off flush with the bracket the shaft of the bolt may come loose without to much effort. Otherwise I would drill it out.
I'm assuming broke to short to? It looked like there were still some threads on the end of it...

Posted via Mobile

Thanks. I was able to hacksaw off the head, dremel off the remaining screw and drill a new hole. Now, I've just got to pick up another screw and maybe some extra washers to tighten up the other side. Not so bad... I'll be back on the road tomorrow. A learning experience. LOL

Back