Poor XS400s

I was looking at some within 8hr radius of myself. Found 3 I believe it was. 2 had titles, 1 was a custom bobber, nice looking wanted $3800 for it. Other was a stock '78 but not running, been sitting in the backyard rusting away for years, they wanted $1800 for it. The last one was just a parts bike with no title, wasnt even a rolling chassis and they wanted $900.

yeah the reliability of the xs platorms make their resale value high, even though they're not as pretty as the CB 550s.

I still wonder how reliable the xs400j's are... mine is at 30k but it got a new engine around 16 or 17k(according to PO). So thats about 14k or so on my enigne and while its not burning oil, or leaking, I still worry..

I think that in North America, these bikes are considered beginner bikes. Beginners rarely do the required maintenance. When I did my valve clearances, they was no clearance at all! I had to go through a ton of shims to finally have any clearance.

So then the engines start having trouble, not because of design, but because of user neglect. After seeing the inside of mine, I see no reason for the engines to be anything but bulletproof.

Man you guys are lucky with the pricing of your bikes! Mine was compete but not running and I paid $500 which is a good deal /fair in these parts I think

We pay for it with a shorter riding season. The bikes are cheaper and lower km, but often rusty and we really only get about 6 months of good riding (this year being the exception...)

Back