rebuilding 82

jcole88

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi guy's. New member and new to restoring a bike. Picked the xs400 to do. Found one at a local mechanic shop and only paid $50.00 for it. I have yet to start or even think of how I want to restore it. any input would be welcome. But I have some general questions. Like would a mustang solo seat fit without having to turn into a bobber or chopper? I want to have the bike for long cruises and joy riding. so I do want to add sadlebags and all the essentials for a cruise. I like the bike but really dislike the straight looking seats. I also want to either extend the forks a little so it will have that stretched look, but not like a chopper. More like the virago. anyways info needed please:)

Hi and welcome to the Forum.
First, do you have a sohc or a dohc '82? The approach will be different, depending.

Second, the folks on here don't believe you really have a bike until there is a picture on the Forum.

Third, here's a great place to start - well worth reading before you jump ahead in your exceitement and end up simply creating avoidable, owner-inflected maintenance opportunities - http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10595

Back