remove axle drum brake

mikestp

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been able to move my axle out about 1.5 inches then it stops. I don't want to bang on it harshly, and I am hoping some of you have experience with drum brake XS400s circa 1980. Am I missing a step that would enable me to remove the speedo cable and would that cause the axle to hang up? I have given it a few light taps, but no movement. It seems to be spinning on the bearings.... I am thinking it might be the speedo? Or do these bikes have some notoriety regarding seizing on "spacers" or bearings?

Mike...

mikestp@yahoo.com

If it has been in there for a long time then it might just need some lube or a penetrating oil and a little pressure. The speedo cable is held in by a clip just use a set of needle nose pliers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the message regarding the clip... I could not see it till your photo showed it. The axle finally came out with a bit of persuasion. Now with the drum apart, I find I need new shoes... Anyone got any suggestions where to buy? And why does ebay show all for sale in the 35 dollar range? Are they sintered with gold?

These brakes are simply bonded to the aluminium "shoe" I think there still might be a shop in Vancouver that relines the shoes... Other wise its another cost item to add... I have three of these bikes and I'll take the others apart to see how many I need. If I need 6 sets for front and rear, It will probably be worthwhile to rebond.

I now discovered that while tearing apart the brake plate, I need the rod that connects the twin leading shoes together. 2 of my three bikes have it but one that I bought as a bit of a basket case, is missing. I have the two clevis pins...Can I simply replace this with a small length of "ready rod"?
If anyone has a spare connecter with or without the clevis pin connectors I would like to buy it off of you if it is spare.
Some of you might have discarded drum brake parts after converting to disks?

Mike

mikestp@yahoo.com:wink2:

Here is the Yamaha part number. and of course the note that it is not available.

152-25161-00-00 ROD, CONNECTING Not Available

Who or what is a chandlers.? I have only heard that term used at the dockyards for ship supply. Do you have a URL you could share?
I think I can make one, but it won't be chromed.. I would have to paint it black or engine aluminium...

Hmmm might be easier to just make this particular bike a parts bike for the others.

A Ships chandler is at least 40 miles away. fuel costs alone will be more than the part is worth. I was hoping someone might have a drum brake unit kicking about. Maybe I will make one. Hmmm die costs... stock, and time.. about 20 bucks.. a used one for about 5 if I can find anyone willing to sell spares for a bike...

Yamaha is quickly becoming a less favorite bike. Honda Suzuki are easier to get info and parts for.... I do like the kick start and the wire wheels though... but what a hassle...

BTW I found a brake reline shop in Vancouver. 8 dollars a shoe... arced to the drum...

Hmmm might be easier to just make this particular bike a parts bike for the others.

A Ships chandler is at least 40 miles away. fuel costs alone will be more than the part is worth. I was hoping someone might have a drum brake unit kicking about. Maybe I will make one. Hmmm die costs... stock, and time.. about 20 bucks.. a used one for about 5 if I can find anyone willing to sell spares for a bike...

Yamaha is quickly becoming a less favorite bike. Honda Suzuki are easier to get info and parts for.... I do like the kick start and the wire wheels though... but what a hassle...

BTW I found a brake reline shop in Vancouver. 8 dollars a shoe... arced to the drum...

try a hardware shop.

yes 40 miles away driving an average of 68 mph,

square the 2, carry the 4, divide re-calculate and ahm

by george! i think hes got it he'll save $9.06 !

screw it! yamaha is junk! (its not, but ok..)

fyi restoring a 40 year old bike.. parts tend to be harder to find :thumbsup:

Parts are easy to find for my 1967 Norton and my 1970 Triumph Bonnie. More difficult for the Yammi and less so for the Honda and the Suzuki. I sense a bit of sarcasm in your reply?

Having a Bad day perhaps?
I will find the part. You simply have to search and ask in the friendly forums....

Hive a nice/better day

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65005020@N07/sets/72157627255876764/show/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65005020@N07/sets/72157627131555933/show/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65005020@N07/sets/72157627033459031/show/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65005020@N07/sets/72157627776443401/show/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65005020@N07/sets/72157627032013179/show/

Last edited:
i was just buggin ya man,
i looked at the pics though, the norton looks pretty deadly probably sounds good too

I admit I am cheap... But this hobby of mine does not allow me to buy a bike, and rebuild it for a price cost that allows me to resell it to a new rider. To do so requires I find the best prices for parts, or fabricate some. Or inventively dream up solutions at low cost.

Things like relined shoes for 20 bucks instead of 50 dollar Fleabay replacements.

Here is another cheapo handy hint.....

My Yamahas take tires that are 16 inch in the rear, and 18 inch in the front. In my area there are an abundance of Harley Davidson bike owners. Lots of them buy Sportsters and other types. One of the first things they do is remove the near new (if not brand new) tires and replace them with bigger rubber. Some of those Harleys took tires that can fit the rims of our Yamahas, Hondas, Suzukis. I buy near new Dunlop tires that were original Harley tires for about 30 40 bucks. This saves me a whole lotta money, and gets my costs down to a reasonable level and still allows me to resell the bike to a new rider that appreciates the new brakes, new or near new Dunlop tires.....

Just another way to save a buck or two...

Back