Roadside tool kit for the XS400?

01ps

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Any suggestions as to what we need to repair our bikes on the side of the road? And don't say it doesn't happen. I trailered my bike twice yesterday with a broken throttle cable (which I rigged up to try to get home) and then a stuck float on the carb (closely followed by the throttle cable again due to jockeying the throttle to keep it running):banghead:

I've been thinking about it and have a few things listed.

10, 12, 13, 14, 17 wrench and/or sockets.
Phillips and flat screwdrivers.
Ratchet and extension.
Spark plug socket and maybe extra plug.
Small roll of mechanics wire.
Small roll of electrical wire.
Electric tape.
Fuses.

This will sound like bragging, but I have the original tool kit in the original pouch, no cracks or tears.

That list looks pretty good, but if it were me, I'd forget about the plug and plug wrench, and rachet. Stick with the wrenches- takes up less space and you're doing emergency stuff, not a rebuild....hopefully.

The only repairs i have ever needed to do roadside were cleaning carb jets and and fixing a broken spark plug resistor cap. So my list is:

Leatherman Surge (with extra bits)
Roll of electrical tape.

lol, posted in the wrong thread; guess I'm distracted.

Last edited:
good shoes. :)

i'd say it depends on how long you'll be travelling.
it all sounds good, but still. Do you have room for all that? :)

I plan on having a 2litre bottle of gas in my backpack for longer runs since I run with a small tank. :)

I have the standard original tool kit and a cell phone. I carry Auto Club RV coverage for my trailer but since it also incidentally covers motorcycles the cell phone is my most important tool. I know that takes all the adventure and excitement out of it but I am paying for the service anyway.

mobile phone, standard xs400 tool kit and a multitool :D
Funny you should say that, as yesterday was the first day in 5 years I forgot my phone. I had to stop at the local "hemp" store to borrow the phone, which made my wife wonder what I was up to.

good shoes. :)

i'd say it depends on how long you'll be travelling.
it all sounds good, but still. Do you have room for all that? :)

I plan on having a 2litre bottle of gas in my backpack for longer runs since I run with a small tank. :)

I have a 3/4 litre fuel bottle, good for a few miles. I am going to get a bit bigger one when I find it.

Same here for the original tool kit that I added a couple more things to. On my scoots, with more storage area, I carried a pretty substantial tool kit I made up. I agree with the part about keeping your bike in good condition and not needing tools on the road. I prefer to do my work ahead of time at home but anything can happen on the road. Had a rear tire valve split on my scoot once and begin to leak. The handling began to get a little squirrely and I discovered the leak when I stopped to check out things. Luckily I had a small 12V compressor on-board and made it home with a couple stops to top off the air.

Just yesterday, for whatever reason, my bike starved itself of fuel when I was riding and died. Fuel tap was on, enough in the tank, opened the tank cap, no difference.

I decided to check to see if the bowls themselves were dry and as soon as i cracked open the bowl drain with my handy, dandy 10mm wrench from the original kit, I could see fuel started to flow through the see-through fuel filter.

Glad I had the kit with me....and still trying to figure out what this was all about.

I am guessing the float bowls must be under some vacuum or at least equal with atmospheric pressure; only positive gauge pressure or a stuck float would keep them from filling if you know the lines are clear.

I'm sure you and BC are right, but this has happened a couple of times so I am thinking of pulling the carbs tonight to see if something is binding up. When there's fuel, it's running fine, but since I'll have them off, I'mm give 'em a quick clean.

Back