Roadside tool kit for the XS400?

It certainly can't hurt. Do they all have those little screens below the float needle seat in them as well?

First thing I do when rebuilding these kind of carbs is to remove those little screens. If you run a filter before the carbs you don't need them. They are a lot harder to change if they get dirty.

Here's what was in mine. Can't ever remember touching it in the 10 years I rode it but I must have. There were a couple old plugs in there also. There's a 10/12 wrench, an 8/10 stamped one, a 14/17, and a 22/29. Small pliers, a double ended screwdriver and a single phillips. A two ended spark plug wrench and a couple allen wrenches. A short 8" piece of cable with a hook on each end? How much was original I'm not sure.

Attachments

• 100_0067.JPG
    100_0067.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 316
Here's what was in mine. Can't ever remember touching it in the 10 years I rode it but I must have. There were a couple old plugs in there also. There's a 10/12 wrench, an 8/10 stamped one, a 14/17, and a 22/29. Small pliers, a double ended screwdriver and a single phillips. A two ended spark plug wrench and a couple allen wrenches. A short 8" piece of cable with a hook on each end? How much was original I'm not sure.

the cable with hooks is the best bit in the tool kit. its for locking the swing arm up when you are adjusting the chain and lets you take the rear wheel spindle out, clearing the exhaust!
it fits on the right hand side, there's a hole near the seat lock and a little raised bracket at the rear on top of the swing arm. just put your weight on the seat and hook it up! :bike:

Maybe i missed it but did anyone mention carrying several electrical zip ties?. Assorted from small to super heavy. They have held some critical parts on my old 50 Harley yrs ago and helped get me home.

First thing I do when rebuilding these kind of carbs is to remove those little screens. If you run a filter before the carbs you don't need them. They are a lot harder to change if they get dirty.
Right you are for not trusting those inside-the-tank bustards. I had one come adrift and dump the stuff it was supposed to hold back into my carbs. That ruined the day for me and my two co-bikers. After that fiasco I added an external in-line a filter and a shutoff.
There may be mor elegant solutions and it's sure there's a lot of things between the petcock and the carbs including more joints in the fuel line than I like but it has one saving grace: It does the job every time - and it shows me it's working.
Seems to me I used to have bikes that had all that in one unit that worked without leaking or needing a vauum hose. Too bad styling trumps engineering these days.
Maybe I'm getting old but the KISS rule still makes a lot of sense to me.

Hey guys,

My 1982 XS400K didn't come with it's stock tool kit. Can someone please list the contents of the stock tool kit? I'd like to get the tools that were in the stock kit as my roadside kit.

I dissagree on the extra plug I would bring 2 how much room can they take up?:shrug::laugh:Oh and would put a set of small wings MgGee has this way you have plenty of room for your tools and couple of protien bars for food.

the cable with hooks is the best bit in the tool kit. its for locking the swing arm up when you are adjusting the chain and lets you take the rear wheel spindle out, clearing the exhaust!
it fits on the right hand side, there's a hole near the seat lock and a little raised bracket at the rear on top of the swing arm. just put your weight on the seat and hook it up! :bike:

OH MY GOD i've been taking the right exhaust OFF to get at that fucking bolt AHHHGHHHHHHH

Back