Seat latch fix

JPaganel

XS400 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have the 1980 stepped seat with the dual hook spring loaded latch.

The latch would slide sideways, and this resulted in a lost spring. (For the 26th time, thanks XSChris for replacement)

Apparently, the problem is that the hole in the side plate got hogged out and the little crimps in the latch bar would not keep it in place any more.

I fixed this with a 5/16 spacer from Ace Hardware. I had to cut it down to size, which more or less meant cutting it in half. Dremel works, watch for burns.

Latch is now solid and properly operational.

Attachments

• 20200926_172205.jpg
    20200926_172205.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 146
  • 20200926_172214.jpg
    20200926_172214.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 133
You should come to my house; a man after my own heart. If people knew how many $800-$1000 fixes I have done using Ace Hardware parts at up to $25 cost to fix things (mainly on cars but bikes cannot escape).

Dremel rules. I've got like 4 of them, and the 3X bigger version like tool and die grinders 3 more of them too. From back in my head porting days.

On cars I hardly ever buy the molded formed specialty hoses for cooling systems, I use bulk straight hose and get around them trying to force you to buy the expensive hose by making the ends different sizes; I solder up Home Depot copper pieces to make adapters to change the hose sizes. That change alone nets me $100 a car on the two Ford Focus cars I have. They have 9 cooling system hoses on each car.

I break apart computerized door latches never meant to come apart to regrease them and rebuild at $150 each one in my pocket and 4 done on each car along with window regulators ($75) that used to break one every year until I repaired them to never break again. Cost maybe $5 each part to fix. That's like $1800 in my pocket. Ford and their crap plastic parts. Ace Hardware stuff used all over the cars. I've renewed the hood and trunk latches too. Just fixed a $300 throttle body using Ace hardware parts and $10 fix, works like new.

Back