So Damn Load!

conquest87tsi

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So I recently fixed up a '77 XS360. For the exhaust I wrapped the headers and mounted tapered shorty mufflers. The problem is that they are annoying load. I go to work from 5-7am and I know I will piss off some neighbors once it warms up here. Any ideas for permanently quieting down my mufflers? I used emgo tapered shorty mufflers. Any idea on baffles I could use? Or a fair priced muffler I could replace them with? I have a feeling anything from dime city will be equally loud.

I have never seen any baffles off the shelf.

A pair of decent full size mufflers runs about $200 give or take.

Really though, what did you expect when you bought a "shorty" muffler?

I expected a muffler to have at least some sound deadening properties. These are worthless. There isn't hardly any difference from straight pipes to these mufflers. I guess this is the first time I have installed shortys and apparently I am not near duechy enough to run a bike that loud. Especially a bike as slow as this little 360. I can handle a little tone if it is accompanied with go, but slow and loud is too Harley for me. Guess I'll try a full size muffler. It looks like a majority of them are straight through as well though. Anyone try MAC?

try a lollypop so it can close when starting and open it up when out of the area.

or wadding around an adapter which slides in the rear silencer, which name escapes me ATM

I have straight pipes on mine and it's not that loud. Now, the straight pipes on my Harley...those are loud.

I think you'll be fine. Just don't rev too high until you're out of the neighborhood.

I have a set of Emgo shorty muffs on my XS650 and they are just a bit louder than the stock muffs.
Leo

Not to come off rude but for $20 a muffler you cant expect much noise reduction.IDK why you guys realy worry to much about waking up nighbors,I dont get the same respect where I live.I hear garbage trucks slamming every dumpster within a mile radius of where I live at 5am.plus hear cars coming through the drive through at burger king at 5am +If it bothers you that much walk the bike a block away before starting it up.:)

Last edited:
My neighbor starts his Harley like 30 minutes before I have to wake up. Hate that!

And I'm sure my other neighbor says the same thing about me when I start my Harley up an hour later. ;)

20130404_180907-1_zps92d10b8c.jpg

I know, its a total crap drawing...

In the mid 90's I was trying to make a Honda 350 quieter with just straight pipes, so I went to the local auto parts store, and asked for 2 exhaust baffles that matched the diameter of the header pipes.
They gave me something that looked like a downsize piece with a screw in it, and a bunch of 'teeth shaped' holes cut out of it, bent inward to slow the exhaust flow.
That's what the mess I made on paper is supposed to represent, lol.

Anyways,I found it worked well.
It would probably be better just to take a straight length of exhaust pipe slightly smaller than the header pipe and cut the 'teeth' shaped pieces, bend them in, then slip it in the header. Don't forget to secure them!

Maybe you'll get lucky and they still sell them. I do know from experience it was the cheapest way to kill some sound.

take a bunch of steel wool and stuff in the ends of the exhaust pipe in a way it doesnt block the flow of the exhaust.It acts as a baffle but if dont correctly it will quiet the loudness.

I just packed my mufflers with stainless steel "scrub buds" that the wife had bought for cleaning pots and pans. They made a noticable difference in reducing the noise, and hopefully will last longer than a week because they are stainless steel.

Thanks for the ideas fellas. It is a low tone, just stupid load. I have the carb tuned in almost perfect. Much easier to sync and set idle mixture than the xs11. Barely had to do anything, and that was prior to noticing one of the boots had torn putting the carbs in. Should be even easier this time.

I may look into some universal baffles. Just don't remember ever seeing them, wasn't looking either. If not I might shove some stainless steel tampons up there. I used to have a VTX with 3"long straights without baffles and this is much more annoying. I used to set off car alarms constantly. I'm not 18 anymore and having the loudest bike has lost it's appeal. Thanks again guys.

If you want it quieter you are going to have to spend some decent $ on a set of new mufflers.Like I mnetioned I kinda like some loudness but not insanely cage rattling loud.I dont have to get up at 5-7am to get up for work either.

Got some brand new Mac mufflers I will sell for cheap because the shipping will be high. drop me a line if you are interested. They have never been mounted. Bill

The new Mac mufflers I have are for the 360/400. They are from a replacement exhaust system, but I used shorties with home made baffles. Stock types are way too quiet for me.

Back