SOHC vs DOHC for styling, what do you prefer?

What do prefer styling wise, SOHC or DOHC models?

• DOHC

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • SOHC

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • Niether

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Depends how fat the chick is sitting on the passenger seat and if the grabrails support her weight

Votes: 7 11.7%

• Total voters
I think Yamaha did a superb job on the Seca. The sculptured tank and the gorgeous boat tail really work together. Having the polished angular engine hang there alone, almost magically, was very modern for 1982. I don't remember if the Seca 400 was in the 1998 Guggenheim motorcycle show, but it surely is a work of art.

I'll chime in and say I like which ever one is running ;) Cuz I'm one of those idiots that's going to cut it up anyway :bike: that being said is there a significant power gain going to the dohc?

Maybe it's cuz I have a Seca, I'm not so into the looks. It's ok, but I like the '78 boxy tank-SOHC styling better. And the '80 era SOHC with spoke wheels and the teardrop tank I also love.

But I guess those don't stand out from the crowd the way the Seca does. And the added power is a bonus :D

... Been keeping my eyes open for a project bike...
I wouldn't have enough ambition for either of the first two:... But I'd gladly ride down to Durham, meet you and we could gang up on this guy:.. unless, of course, SHE is an Iron Siren. Don't want any more dealings with that lot ... :wink2:

I base my opinion on the engine styling for this one. 78 & ealier boxy tank hands down. Not a fan of the squared off DOHC. I really don't see the HUGE difference between the Maxim and the Seca though. The Seca is better looking, but the Maxim is nowhere near the worst bike design ever. it's kinda cool in an almost cruiser way... :shrug:

There are subtle but distinct differences between the Maxim and Seca. The Maxim was designed to be a mini cruiser and the Seca was a mini sport touring bike.

Aside from the obvious cosmetic differences, there are other differences between the Seca and Maxim (and the Seca advantages) that I've noted:
- 20L gas tank vs 14L (100km/60mi + greater range)
- 18" wheels vs 19"/16" (quicker steering, more precise handling)
- 6 speed vs 5 speed (same final ratio, quicker acceleration)
- dual crossover exhaust vs single crossover (better torque curve? Quieter?)
- foot pegs and controls mounted behind swingarm pivot vs in front of pivot (more aggressive riding position)

Yep, i agree that the Seca is a better bike. I just don't see how the maxim is a terrible one. It's pretty clear to me that somone sat down with a drawing of the Seca and said "how do I make this a cruiser?" stretch the seat downward, tank upward, all the things listed above and voila you have a mini cruiser! I'm not a big fan of cruisers, but it's a pretty good approximatino of the style. Maybe it's the fact that they took people's favorite design & monkeyed with it that make people hate it?

Nobody of small to average height who has actually ridden one hates the Maxim.
It is comfortable, smooth and fast for its displacement. Reminds me of my brand new Kawasaki 2 cycle, 3 cylinder, 250cc which I had in 1974 - without bad smelling smoke.

I see where some would prefer to support some of their weight with their arms and have 6 gears to play with, however, my arthritic shoulders and wrists thank me every day for not getting the Seca I looked at. The bum is never happy after a hour though - lol.

I think the Maxim would be perfect if it had a 4 speed tranny. 1st exactly the same, 2nd between existing 2&3, 3rd between 4&5, and 4th above 5 so when cruising at 60/98 I'd be at 5,000 rpms.

Back