Sprockets - Does new bike have the wrong ones?

A good hand impact tool at almost any price is worth the money. It saves stripping screw heads. Saves tons of aggravation and chasing up new screws and bolts. Harbor freight has a nice one with a large plastic handle that protects your hand if you miss with the hammer. It is on sale now for $5.99, $6.99 flat rate shipping. Maybe slightly more to cross the border.
If you strip the heads, get a 1/4 inch drill bit, drill the heads of the screws slowly. When you get just through the heads they come right off. Leaving the rest of the screw in place. Remove the cover.
Now the screws will usually unscrew with just your fingers, Take those screws to a good hardware store. Get allen head bolts to match for diameter, length and thread pitch.
Get some anti-seize. Put a thin coat of anti-seize on the threads of the new allens. Install with about 5-6 ft/lbs or .7-.9 m-kgs of torque.
The allens look better and don't strip out as easy. If you get leaks replace the gasket, don't just tighten the bolts tighter or you will just have to drill out the striped heads again.
On your sprokets, changing the number of teeth is an easy way to change the way the bike acts. A lower ratio gives you quicker acceleration but cuts top speed. A higher ratio gives you more top speed with less acceleration. Most of us look for a few less rpms at our cruising speed.
I have found the one tooth bigger on the front or two teeth smaller on the rear gives 400-500 less rpms at 55-60 mph.
Any more and the overall performance of the bike suffers.
Leo

Last edited:
Well, I didn't get one that cheap but I did get one - what a fantastic tool! Worked like a charm and did NOT ruin the heads like the dealer part counter guy said it would.
I have 35 teeth on the rear and 16 teeth on the front. It would appear to me that when Yamaha put a 5 spd in the Maxim instead of a 6 speed, they didn't give it the same top gear ratio but used different sprockets than in the 6 spd xs400s. That means I have less opportunity to make adjustments now but can probably at least go to a 17-35 combo.

I envy those on this older forum who were considering dropping FROM a 37 rear to a 36. I'm already at 35. http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4982

Thanks to everyone for all your help with getting the cover off, I really appreciate it.

MasterCraft impact wrench, normally $139.99 just went on for $39.99 at Crappy Tire:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/2/CordedPowerTools/CordlessImpactDrivers/PRD~0541216P/Mastercraft+3KO+Corded+Impact+Wrench.jsp?locale=en

Comes with the bits, and who doesn't like a nice new tool? Also, can be used on lug nuts.

heck of a difference between a impact gun like you posted and a hand impact like this
http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=SlidT_2sDoKs2gXaqbyIDw&ved=0CG0Q8wIwAQ#
which is what you want to use on screws :laugh: adjustable by how hard you hit it

not sure if ou figured this problem out or not but, if you clean the gunk off the sprocket once you get the cover off and there should be a number stamped in the side of it stating the sprocket count.

How did you know there would be gunk in there FUBAR?
The front has 16 teeth and the rear 35 - so Yamaha already lowered the rear count when it put a 5 spd instead of a 6 spd in the Maxim. I doubt there will be a 34 anywhere but I am optimistic I can at least find a 17 for the front. According to last year's thread, a number of guys had them. Thanks.

What are the odds that the cover, the shift lever and the foot-peg could be put back and everything torqued without noticing that the clutch cable had come detached?

And, it seems no-one sells a 17 tooth replacement for the 16 tooth OEM which fits the Maxim (different from the cruiser/heritage style sohc).

Rule #1...
if it goes back together easy, you forgot something and need to take it back apart :banghead:
Catch #22 if it goes back together hard it's wrong and will need taken back apart :banghead::banghead:
sounds like a 16T may be the biggest due to clearance issues

Rule #1... if it goes back together easy, you forgot something
Ah yes, rule #1.
On last year's similar thread (http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4982), jigm400 and drewpy had 17T on the front but I think these were on the 6spd/sohc models (I wish I could drop the rear from 39 to 37T, but I'm already at 35T).
I found a company with a 17T for one xs400 model but only 16T for the Maxim and the Seca. From the pictures on the site, the centre hole is the same on both - but the 2 bolt holes might be different... :confused:
So, while trying to keep Rule #1 in mind, I will take off the cover for a 3rd time and photograph what my sprocket looks like so I can compare it to the 17Ts that are available (& maybe show it to the parts guy).
Maybe I could buy a 17T and have it drilled to match the mounting for my 16T.

if it's the same spline pattern it would be easier to just buy the correct lock plate for the sprocket
Thanks for giving me something more to look for Jayel.
Clearly I have to learn more about how these things are made and put together. I just assumed that the 2 little holes fit onto something that, like the splined driving shaft, is part of the bike.

I did find a 17T on one site (= JTF-571.17 - listed for a 1983 XS400 R Seca). I think :umm: I have the same engine and tranny.

I use a Seca parts manual to identify bits on my Maxim...
I think we have the same dohc engine as the SECA. But does your Maxim have a 5 spd tranny like mine? I looked up several sites which purport to have specs on the SECA, and they all say that the SECA has a 6-speed.
I'm now pretty sure that Yamaha made 3 different engine/tranny combos:
The sohc "Special" with 6 spd. tranny - 27 hp (per Bikez)
The dohc "SECA" with 6 speed tranny - 38 hp (per xsrider)
The dohc "Maxim" with 5 spd. tranny - 38 hp (per motorbikes.be)​

The Maxim must have been a way for Yamaha to offer the more powerful engine but hit a lower price point than the SECA. Instead of including the 6th gear (overdrive), they apparently just partially compensated by using a 35 tooth rear sprocket. 226Dark has 16 & 37 and runs 4,600 rpm at 60 mph, I have 15 & 35 and run 6,000 rpm at 60.

How many front/back teeth does your Maxim have?

16/35 for me. Not sure why my RPM/MPH ratio is - it's been a while since the bike was in one piece...

Now I want a six speed from a Seca to mate up to my engine...

Back