stator ohms

Congrats on the much needed rewire. If the stator is out I'd degrease it and look for it's mechanical flaw. I suspect it's a short on that one white wire because all three windings can't be that low unless they're shorting to something.

Also, the windings (yellow wire ends) should have zero continuity to the metal stator case.

update..everything i can see looks ok on the stator.. still 13.5 volts tho..its all back together, i guess the next step is the regulator / rectifier ?

We need to be clear about a few things.

The regulator rectifier puts the brakes on the voltage that the charging system puts out. If it fails, you'll see voltage ABOVE 14 volts with the engine revved. 15 volts and more is an example of poorly regulated voltage...

If you had shitty wires going in and out of your stator, the next logical wiring to replace would be the positive and negative wires going in and out of your field coil.

Open their shield, degrease and inspect, and search for flaws and breaks in the wiring covering.

I opened up my stator 5 months after my rewire to find the oil had destroyed the heat shrink around my rewiring and one joint had busted loose.

At 13.5, your bike is running just fine. 13.5 will charge your battery. Not sure why that seems poor to you, but since you're being thorough, do a deep inspection of your field coil wiring.

Drewcifer

PS...as silly as this sounds, have you really cleaned, and I mean with vinegar or brasso, all the contacts on the bike? Loose ones will also create the issue you're describing. Until I soldered in my v reg, it only put out 13.5 too!

Last edited:
Mine did too, I dug though all the posts on this forum, and even found out what the best soldering technique was. so keep looking, the info is here. My first attempt was to try to make the wire have the most contact, but that was a fail attempt. I then redid my stator as to what was recommended. its been long enough I have forgotten who posted, but I am sure you will run into it if you keep looking. good luck tobie

uhm.....yeah. The manual is listed on the front page of the forum in pdf format.
We all thought you'd read it by now. kinda important!

Back