Steering bearing placement

Flexeril

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I finally got my steering bearings from MikeXS. I want to make sure that these go in the right way. And now some pics....Forgive me on the crappy pics.

Bottom side
file-5.jpg

Top side
file-3.jpg

On a closer inspection of the bottom, I see there is an inner ring like thing all the way up. It might be hard to tell in this pic. Do I need to remove that ring? Suggestions as to how?
Thanks for the help. I am so ready to finish this project.

file-4.jpg
[/IMG]

Hey xschris,

thanks a lot for your reply. Will proceed with caution. The races were removed a while back. What grease do you recommend for the bearings?

And since you did not correct me on the orientation/placement of the bearings, I'll take it that you approve?

Thanks.

Any good auto grease will work. I use lucas red and tacky on all my stuff, but thats just me. Look right on how you are putting them in just make sure they go in straight. Plus if you don't have a press to put them in use a soft mallet.

you can use a threaded bar with large penny washers either end.

that inner headstock should be flat, looks like a ball race to me but hard to tell

It is in place!!!!

Drewpy, I thought of something like that but I do not have anything like it in my tool arsenal. Could have gone to the local shop but did not feel like going out for it.

That pic is deceiving...I plugged in my halogen shop lites and after a good clean in there, it was just a flat inner headstock.

The bearing kit fits like a glove. Will take more pics tomorrow for others to see.

Thanks again for the help gentlemen. Cheers!

Back